SP Twin Jet MAX or Mares Volo Power

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UaVaj

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I head a lot of good thing on these two fins using the search button. Both are in the same category of miminum efforts maximum power from two great manufacturer.

Twin Jet MAX (split) - $220 new at LDS.
or
Mare Volo Power (paddle) - $160 new online.

I will be using these as my primary fins for recreational reck diving and some spear fishing. So far I am leaning toward the Twin Jet MAX since all my gears are SP.

Now which one - why and why not? Anyone tried them both with some actual open water feedback?

Update. I have bought both of these fins and have decent amount of experience on both.

For recreational dives where you are taking your own sweet time gliding/looking at stuff/critters and there is none to very little current. The Mares Volo are the ultimate fins. These are the fin of choice. Almost zero effort to kick. Almost feel like no fins at all.

For spearfishing where a dash of speed is needed or diving in any real current. You will need something with a little more power. The twin jet max are just that. Not to damanding on your legs. Yet it gives a good propulsion.

As for stiff paddle fins. I will have to pass. Even in no current condition. I can develop cramp calves in about 5-10 min of kicking.

My next pair of fins will be a pair of Atomic Split. The reviews has been impressive.

Black twin jets (not max)

This review is the new style "twin jet MAX."

Not the old style "twin jet."

I had a pair of Volos Powers and after 18 months, one of them simply snapped on a dive (this May). Whilst they were great fins, they were also very expensive and bear in mind that this wasn't a cosmetic fault, the stiffener shattered, so they were flapping around like a broken wing and at the most inopportune moment as I was at the surface in very rough seas and the boat drifted past with the wind faster than I could now fin, it was actually a very unpleasant experience. Even more disappointing was that Mares in Australia refused to replace them, relying on their 12 month warranty limit, which given that these were amongst the most expensive fins on the market when I bought them, well I would have expected better, far better.

Discussing this on other forums, I now find that this is quite a common occurrence, which in a fin of this price is an absolute bloody disgrace. Never again will I buy anything with Mares written on it - overpriced, over rated Italian crap, all show & no staying power, just like most of their cars..........

After hunting around for replacements, I settled on the SP Twin Jet Max - how are they? As good as, if not better than the Volos Powers I think. Much easier to stand up in on a rolling boat and the foot pocket extends right to the end of the heel, giving far better traction than any other fin I've used. Very powerful, yet I haven't yet suffered any cramping, easy to frog kick in and they don't seem to stir up silt & sand like the Volos did.

I'm converted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom