SP MK20 Spring Coating Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nikolay_zhelev

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys,

I’m in process of upgrading Scubapro MK20 to MK25 and after the ultrasonic cleaning I noticed that the main spring coating (it turns out that there is a coating and it’s transparent) is peeling off and the spring is a bit sticky. I guess that’s due to the cleaning agent used in the ultrasonic bath (Ticopour R27 Scubapro approved).

Has anyone experienced this issue and could that be a problem for the regulator normal operation?

Best Regards,
Nick

And here is the spring:

Attachments

• 1FACFD55-2672-4821-81B9-A17D7BDD1862.jpeg
    1FACFD55-2672-4821-81B9-A17D7BDD1862.jpeg
    134.5 KB · Views: 65
It’s part of the freeze resistance, it doesn’t have an effect on performance otherwise, there are better choices for cold water use, like the MK17, it ok to use it just know the anti icing feature is demished.

Nick, the main spring is not supposed to be cleaned in an ultrasound cleaner with acidic liquid like the Tickopur R27, because it damages the protective layer on the spring.
It is supposed to be cleaned only with warm soapy water.......

Hi Axxel,

As the coating is transparent, initially I thought that the spring is not coated at all. The EVO springs are blue and those I would never clean in an ultrasonic bath, but that one misled me.

What’s done it’s done. The only concern I have now is about the operation of the first stage with this spring. From my knowledge about piston regulators this should not be an issue, but a discussion with experienced guys like you is worth.
I would definitely not use it in cold water.

just make sure to rinse/soak/flush well after diving in salt water...

Hi Axxel,

As the coating is transparent, initially I thought that the spring is not coated at all. The EVO springs are blue and those I would never clean in an ultrasonic bath, but that one misled me.

What’s done it’s done. The only concern I have now is about the operation of the first stage with this spring. From my knowledge about piston regulators this should not be an issue, but a discussion with experienced guys like you is worth.
I would definitely not use it in cold water.
Don't worry too much about the spring.
I would anytime dive with that spring also in cold water as long as I know that the air in my tank is really dry.....

If you have access to parts the spring is not very expensive. The latest version has the blue EVO coating. So far from what I’ve seen the new coating holds up pretty well.

I'd use that spring without any worries, unless you're going to be in sub40F water, and at that point I would use a sealed 1st stage anyways.

Back
Top Bottom