SP MK17 with AA B2 second. Any concern?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mortem

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

I think I know already the answer, but just in case, I ask the question:
Tech diving with SP MK17 and AA B2 second. Do you see any issue?
As MK17 is not overbalanced, I don't see anything any problem but what do you think?

needs both an SP and an Atomic dealer to service it?

No problem and even if you had a first stage with the 'overbalancing' BS it wouldn't be a problem. The atomic 2nds are pretty similar to the SP s600 et al, seeing as how some of the same people designed them.

Recommended IP for B2 is 140 psi. So not an issue to set this on MK17.
Both distributor for my location are next to my place (5-10 km radius) so no issue either here.

Shouldn't be a problem. I have been using Mk25 with AA 2nd stage for a long time.

I agree "over balanced" is BS. It is an inherent design limitation of some diaphragm 1st stage. Instead of tell people that, they create a term to make it sound good.

Have the guy set the IP at 140 with a near-empty tank. Then check it with a full tank, the tech will be surprised to see the IP is 130. The MK17 is balanced but not completely, so like unbalanced diaphragm regs the IP rises as tank pressure decreases. Anyhow, it's no problem because the atomic 2nd is balanced and will compensate for a 10PSI IP swing without you even noticing. But if the tech sets the MK17 at 140 with a full tank, you'll be up over 150 with a near-empty and that's probably not ideal.

Personally I keep my IP fairly low, around 125 for the MK5/10. I find high performance balanced 2nds do very well at a lower IP and it may be a bit easier to tune them. But that's an opinion, not a fact, and I have zero experience with the atomic 2nd stages. One nice thing about low IP is that IP is a bit like blood pressure in that it typically goes up with age, so my MK5s can go several years before I need to rebuild them.

Just remember to tell the tech to set the IP with a near empty tank if he's going to set it at 140.

thanks for the answer. Not fan of over-balanced either.For the IP setting using the MK17, I was already aware about that. That's the only things that disturbs me a bit in this reg.Thanks a lot

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom