SP MK17 opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rypark1999

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I understand that SP just released this first stage (at least, SP released it this month here in southern california). But it seems that in other parts of the world, SP released it a little earlier.

Just wondering if anyone had a chance to dive it and what they thought (breathability wise)? (I'm thinking of buying it with the X650 second stage; I only do recreational diving for now)

Thanks

I think it looks pretty swanky.

It has apparently been available in Europe for a while, and at least one person on the board for whom I have tremendous respect and really knows his stuff wrote a very positive review of it.

I wouldn't think twice about buying it, but I'd wait a bit so any potential problems come to light first.

I really like the Mk 17 and have retired my Mk 20's in favor of it.

It is based more or less on the Mk 16 but incorporates some refinement in terms of a high pressure seat guide, a fully sealed environmental chamber and an extra High pressure port. It also has trim boots on the end that should protect the chrome a lot better than on the Mk 16.

In cold water tests it survived insane flow rates at 165 ft in near freezing water for 200 minutes (the end of the test) without freezing up. In comparison, an Aqualung Ledgend (also a very good sealed diaphragm first stage design) froze up in a little over 30 minutes.

I have not had a chance to take the Mk17 real deep yet but I have had it on extended deco dives at 130 ft in low 40 degree water temps with no issues. I cannot tell the difference between it and the Mk 20 in terms of breathing performance and the Mk 20/Mk 25 has always been well regarded in terms of breathing performance.

I am a little less enthusiastic about the X650, but then my basis for comparison is the D400 (I still use them on my MK 17's) which can be tuned for very low breathing efforts around .6 to .7" of water, but which SP also discontinued in 2003.

In all fairness I think the X650 is a great reg that breathes as well as the S600 and is overall a good design. The X650 is however a superior design for cold water where I would hesitate to use an S600, But persoanlly, if I were buying a new second stage, I'd save the money and get a G250 rather than spend the extra bucks on either the S600 or X650. In fact, the X650 I bought for evaluation purposes is currently for sale as I will keep my half dozen or so D400's rather than replace them.

The G250 has the advantage of a larger diaphragm than either the S600 or X650 and offers theoretically better performance for less money. The larger case size is also not an issue and is not noticeable in the water.

Its funny that you mentioned the AL Legend. My choice is between (actually) the AL Legend LX and MK17/X650. From what I've learned it seems that the two are very comparable (for my intended use - recreational diving with future nitrox upgrade).

It would seem (from what I've researched on this site and Scuba Diving) that the two have pretty much the same features (1st stage: diaphragm, balanced, enviromentally sealed, 2 HP ports, nitrox compatible & 2nd stage: adjustable and balanced).

I only paired the MK17 with the X650 because it seems that's how SP is packaging it (the other package option is S550, which I am not considering cuz it's not adjustable).

Anyway, thanks for the recommendation on the G250. However, based on the SP catalog the X650 has a "straight coaxial flow valve" and the G250 has a "air balanced linear flow valve". What's the difference? Does this mean the X650 is not "balanced"?

Marketing people really suck. (nothing personal intended if any readers actually do that for a living.)

In reality, the poppet assemblies on both are nearly identical. The poppet body on the X650 is a little shorter, otherwise it is the same S-Wing balanced poppet, seat and orifice design used in the S600, S550, G500, G250HP and upgraded G250, G200B, and Balanced Adjustable second stages.

The X650 and Legend actually use a similar "flow vane" adjustment in that both are different from the moveable flow vane used in the S600, S550, G250 HP, R390, etc. In the Legend, the air is directed by a deflector coaxially mounted on the air barrel and is essentially bounced off a fixed flow vane in the mouth piece. The X650 also uses a coaxially mounted deflector, but due to the design it shoots the air straight into the mouthpiece. This does give the X650 one thing in common with the D400 in that the airflow itself is very direct and very smooth compared to the much more turbulent flow that you get with other designs.

For all practical purposes the G250HP and S600 are identical, except for the size of the case, and the G250HP, S600 and X650 are all capable of the same excellent level of performance, with the exception of the G250HP and X650 being better choices for cold water.

The Legend first stage is essentially a tried and true Conshelf first stage adapted to have the air enter from the side. It also incorporates a diaphragm seal like the Conshelf Supreme and uses a plastic pad and stem arrangement to transfer ambient pressure to the diaphragm. It's a solid design, but is none the less a 30 year old design that is a little dated and offers less flow rate than a Mk 17.

The advice given above to avoid the "new" Mk 17 until the design matures a bit is normally sound advice. But given that the Mk 17 is an evolutionary derivative of the already proven Mk 16 and given that it has been in development at SP for the last 2-3 years (that I know of) and has been in service outside the US for the last year or so, I don't have my normal qualms about buying a Mk 17 now. In fact I bought two of them.

Despite how they are cataloged, an SP dealer can sell any first stage with any second stage. It's those sucky marketing types again who advertise specific packages in order to create "entry level", "intermediate" and "advanced" regulator packages with the goal of selling the average diver at least three regs in their career.

In reality, it is easy to order a Mk 17 with a G250HP or whatever other second stage you want. The dealer just has to fax the order in and it will arrrive from SP in a week to 10 days. You lose the few percent discount you get with their cataloged packages, but in this case you will still save money if you go with the less expensive (but equal perfoming) G250 HP.

DAA,
ALways enjoy reading your reg post! Thanks.

I am not sure on the exact retail price of the MK 17 G250 HP, But $425 seems to be a really good deal.

Ho folks,

Just bought a MK17 a few days ago at my LDS with an R390 to carry them as octopus (I use an Apeks 200 as my main reg). My LDS priced the set at € 260 if that helps.

Cheers

Paddy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom