SP mk10 service kit vs “Viton” service kit and O2 cleaning regulator? What is necessary for my situation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JFalzetti

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

I’m looking to buy a servicing kit for my Scuba Pro mk10 from vintage double hose, since it’s the only place I can find it. (If anyone has experience servicing an mk10 using the VDH or know of a better method please let me know)

So my question is if I need to use nitrox on this reg do I need to do any special steps for servicing? On vintage double hose is the standard mk10 service kit for non nitrox and the O2 Viton kit used for nitrox? I will likely be using just air for this reg but I also am doing my nitrox certification soon and want the option to use nitrox on this reg.

[I will not be using above 40% O2. Probably not even above 32%]

Thank you for any information

As I understand it, under 40% doesn't need anything special. Tanks and valves might if you're partial pressure filling, because that starts with pure O2, but the reg will only ever see 40% or less (in your use case).
Regarding VDH kits, I've used them in MK5s and a few other regs and have zero complaints. Bryan is a stand up guy, and his parts and kits have always been solid.

Respectfully,

James

I’m looking to buy a servicing kit for my Scuba Pro mk10 from vintage double hose, since it’s the only place I can find it. (If anyone has experience servicing an mk10 using the VDH or know of a better method please let me know)

So my question is if I need to use nitrox on this reg do I need to do any special steps for servicing? On vintage double hose is the standard mk10 service kit for non nitrox and the O2 Viton kit used for nitrox? I will likely be using just air for this reg but I also am doing my nitrox certification soon and want the option to use nitrox on this reg.

[I will not be using above 40% O2. Probably not even above 32%]

Thank you for any information
I agree with James that VDH has good products. I’ve purchased several kits from them. I’ve now purchased a bunch of viton o-rings, have O2 safe grease, and make my own kits now (I have 6 mk10’s now), so i use viton and O2 safe grease on all servicing, and O2 clean several of my tanks. For standard nitrox use, you’re fine with standard nitrile o-rings (but some will say anything above 23% should be O2 clean, grease and orings). If you go with viton, you should probably use O2 safe grease as well. Of course once you use the reg on a non-O2 clean tank, the reg is technically “dirty”.

I did buy service kits and other parts (exhaust orange rubber piece, for example) from VDH. Great value for money, very correct seller.
Said that, I usually buy SP original service kits, when I find them on Ebay. They regularly appear on sale here in Europe.
And in US you have some other sellers providing it. See here for example:

So my question is if I need to use nitrox on this reg do I need to do any special steps for servicing?
No, and you do not need the viton o-rings. EPDM or nitrile work just fine. I don't have any experience with the VDH MK10 kits, but I imagine they will work fine, those guys know what they're doing.

The one thing about the NOS SP MK10 kits is that they have 3 seats, labeled "+". "-" and "=". The "+" seat is the shortest and results in the highest IP. It's nice to be able to choose the seat height that will give you the IP you want, and that varies from reg to reg. You also use shims, but the difference between the "+" seat and the "=" seat is almost 15 PSI, which is a lot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom