SP Ladyhawk - opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snowdog61

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
GF has been diving a SP Classic since the 90's (it was her OW training rental) but it's getting pretty long in the tooth. I have a Zeagle Zena that I'm trying to put her in but the lack of large pockets make it a no-go for her. I have to admit though - those pockets are nice to have - big and open. BPW is also a no-go unfortunately and the 'new' Classic offering doesn't appear to be anything near what hers is. I've started looking casually and it seems the Ladyhawk might fit the bill. It's back inflate (gasp) rather than the jacket style of her classic, has the same # and placement of D-rings and looks to have large pockets. Plus it has the correct pink accents (most important as it will compliment her pink TwinJets!)

Can any of the ladies give a comment on this BC?

While I am obviously not a lady I dive the ScubaPro Knighthawk and I really love it. Back inflate so you don't feel the "squeeze" of a jacket style BCD, the dumps are all well placed and easy to find and I find I use the shoulder dump the most but also use the rear dump. The pockets are not as big as I would like but the pull out mesh pocket on the right side is quite useful.

I have the Air2 option as well. I find it to be a great BCD that is quite comfortable and is well suited to my needs.

Trying to make this a surprise for her but at my age, I know it's usually better to have direct input from the future user than to assume/guess. Thanks. I'll stop by our LDS and at least put my finger on it.

Seconded @tbone1004. Why not BP&W? They're the tops. That said:

The Ladyhawk is a great BCD, if the fit is right. I'm not a woman, but I know plenty of women who have them, and they all like them. I have yet to hear any serious complaints. It's basically a Knighthawk with some female-friendly fitting tweaks.

That said, they seem to me like they run small and narrow, so if it's a gift, make sure you can return it for a different size. Even I suck at eyeballing fit on those things, and it's part of my job.

But Knighthawks and Ladyhawks are probably my favorite BCDs that aren't BP&W.

Ideal curiosity: any women here dive with a Knighthawk?

Believe me, I've tried the BPW route with her and she doesn't like it. We each test flew a Transpak (I believe) in Curacao as DiveRite was a major sponsor. I liked it but didn't see a huge advantage over my Stilletto. I figured she would have been all over it but once it was over, she wasn't so sure about it and even said later she preferred her poodle jacket. Lamar set her up and checked her fit with it so it wasn't that. I don't know. BPW is certainly where my next stop will be but mine is still fairly young with only 400 something dives on it. Believe me, I've tried. Hugs and big pockets for her, crotch strap and well placed D-rings for me..... SMH

@snowdog61 a lot of people get comfort from the squeeze feeling from a poodle jacket, it's probably the only legitimate reasons I see to actually buy one. A lot of people, similar to dogs, have their anxiety relieved by that sensation of being hugged, so that may be it.

I hated the squeeze, which is why I bought a BP/W in between both OW pool sessions.

http://www.scubapro.com/en-US/USA/bcs/products/bella.aspx seems like it fits all her wants also ...

Capture.JPG

The Ladyhawk is a great BC. As someone says it is pretty much a Knighthawk but fitted for women. I was diving with the Knighthawk and really enjoyed it but made the switch to a bp/wing because it was simply just too large and bulky for warm water diving.

Scubapro Bella seems likes a perfect match. It evens comes with pink accents.

Back
Top Bottom