SP-350 with dual YS-110's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
This weekend offered my first opportunity to dive with my second YS-110 in good conditions and unhampered by the learning curve on my new drysuit. I used the camera and strobes in all modes from super-macro to wide angle. All my shooting was done set in ttl, with the diffusers on both strobes. For most of the macro stuff, I had the strobes set slightly behind the camera about 6-10" on either side and directed outward at a 30-45 degree angle. For the WA's they were generally overhead about 2' and about 30" apart at a similar angle. I'm happy to report that the Heinrichs/Weikamp converter worked beautifully, whether I was shooting super-macro in f8@1/125, an inch from the subject or wide angle at f4@1/60 with a 2' to 50' focal range. For the first time EVER, I didn't throw away a single shot out of 81 pictures for poor lighting. 99% of the pictures would have been fine in the basic as shot defaults that first showed in the RawShooter ORF files. For most pictures, I made minor adjustments to exposure and shadow contrast to bring out detail, but I had no glare/white-out areas on any shots and not a single black out or extreme shadow issue. Even on pictures in holes, where one strobe was partially or completely hidden by a rock or kelp, the lighting from the other side was adequate to make the picture acceptable. The more interesting pictures are in my Carmel Pics 5-12 post. If you want to see the rest, click on my Photobucket link below and check out the albums for Pescadero Point and Pescadero Rocks 5-12-07. About the only shot I was truly unhappy with was a large black Chiton on a dark kelp and rock background. It was just a tough shot and I'll have to play with strobe aim on those. I think I should have given the Chiton a direct shot to make it stand out.

Back
Top Bottom