SP 109 Poppet Configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

axxel57

Contributor
Reaction score
I have this Mk1-109 combo already for quite a while, never found time to have closer look on it.
I have at least 20 SP 109s 2nds, but I have never seen that type of poppet configuration.
Should be from the late 60ties.
It comes with a 2250psi yoke, stopping pin and metric clamp screws.
Has anybody seen that here before, especially the plastic ball?

Attachments

• P1100383.JPG
    P1100383.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 94
  • P1100385.JPG
    P1100385.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 87
  • P1100386.JPG
    P1100386.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 93
  • P1100479.JPG
    P1100479.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 103
  • P1100498.JPG
    P1100498.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 97
  • P1100502.JPG
    P1100502.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 87
  • P1100496.JPG
    P1100496.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 86
I never saw that back in the 70's. I started servicing these regulators in 1971. But, I have seen it recently from other units that were never serviced since they were new.

If I recall correctly, someone even posted some pictures of "new old stock" replacement poppets like that one that they found in an old dive shop.

By the time I was servicing Scubapro regulators, those poppets have been replaced by some that looked similar, but were longer and the ball was replaced with a flatter looking pad.

The roll pin was common in the early 70's. I was glad when it got replaced with the snap clip.

Interesting!
So my guess that it's from the late 60ties seems to be quite correct.
And it could explain why I never found a configuration like this before.
I checked the Bulletins, but my ones start only from '73 on, so there is nothing to find about.
Probably you are right, and it has been changed very quickly, so they are pretty rare.
Do you remember the 109ties which had that slit in the barrel instead of the two holes?
I had one of those, but I don't know if they were introduced before the roll pin or after.
Maybe you can help me with that.......

I have a couple of the 109 with the “slot and two holes”. They were designed to use a lighter gauge clip that snapped into the slot with a straight section that went into the two holes. If you lose that snap clip, you can use the later “D” shaped, heavier gauge clip. The heavier gauge clip doesn’t flex much and it just fits over the slot, rater than inside the slot.

I don’t know exactly when Scubapro had that design, but it must have been very short lived. It was definitely after the roll pin. It might have been in the late 70’s.

I think they went from the roll pin to the “D” shaped pin and then for a short while they introduced this alternate clip. The clip appears to be like a more sophisticated solution, but I think it was short lived and they went back to the “D” shaped pin.

At first the “D” shaped pin seemed like a temporary solution, but it has worked fine so they stayed with it, or went back to it.

I think that I remember when that clip came out, but my memory about it is very fuzzy.

Yeah, I have one with a clip retainer, but never got one with the "ball" poppet configuration. There have been a few discussions here when they are discovered and someone even posted the schematic for them. Can't remember when....

and sometime in-between (no ball, longer poppet):

1635773877180.jpeg

(not mine, but a picture I saved some time ago)

I have a couple of the 109 with the “slot and two holes”. They were designed to use a lighter gauge clip that snapped into the slot with a straight section that went into the two holes. If you lose that snap clip, you can use the later “D” shaped, heavier gauge clip. The heavier gauge clip doesn’t flex much and it just fits over the slot, rater than inside the slot.

I don’t know exactly when Scubapro had that design, but it must have been very short lived. It was definitely after the roll pin. It might have been in the late 70’s.

I think they went from the roll pin to the “D” shaped pin and then for a short while they introduced this alternate clip. The clip appears to be like a more sophisticated solution, but I think it was short lived and they went back to the “D” shaped pin.

At first the “D” shaped pin seemed like a temporary solution, but it has worked fine so they stayed with it, or went back to it.

I think that I remember when that clip came out, but my memory about it is very fuzzy.
Ah, yes, I had one of those models, right it also had the two holes, but I thought that design came out before the role pin model.
Thanks for clarifying.......:cheers:

and sometime in-between (no ball, longer poppet):

View attachment 689296

(not mine, but a picture I saved some time ago)
Yes, I have also one of the longer poppets, but my one came with a typical spring pad.
I have one schematics which could be the one with the 'ball' spring pad, if 'pad' could be used for a ball, my English is not good enough to decide.

Attachments

• P1100586.JPG
    P1100586.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 62
  • SCUBAPRO 109 1970s.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 91
I found the same poppet set in a 109 I got with an old mk5. I thought it was some after market or bubba hack. Turns out no, it's old original. This is why I like the vintage stuff, seeing the evolution and innovation directly leading up to todays gear.

Don't forget to change the lever if you want to upgrade it to a more modern poppet! The first designs had chunkier tabs,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom