Southern Queensland / Northern NSW in Jan/Feb?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bearkeley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for insights / recommendations for must see/do dive sites if any in this area. I prefer warm waters...3 mil suits so wasn’t planning to dive but understand that the waters would most likely be warm? Info on dive conditions (viz, stingers, etc) this time of year would be helpful as well please. Experienced fun divers (approx 500 dives). We have done other areas but first time in this part of Australia. Thanks!

Looking for insights / recommendations for must see/do dive sites if any in this area. I prefer warm waters...3 mil suits so wasn’t planning to dive but understand that the waters would most likely be warm? Info on dive conditions (viz, stingers, etc) this time of year would be helpful as well please. Experienced fun divers (approx 500 dives). We have done other areas but first time in this part of Australia. Thanks!

Hi there I haven't dived there yet but I would imagine Byron Bay would be lovely that time of the year and no nasty stingers

Byron Bay Dive Sites - Julian Rocks - where tropical and temperate currents and creatures meet

Gallery and videos look good

Blue bay divers will be the best op to use. Julian rocks is an excellent dive site and you never know what you will see there!

ex HMAS Brisbane (about an hour North of Brisbane) is a great wreck to dive.
If you can travel further south to Wooli, then the Northern Solitary Islands are also highly recommended.
There is no risk of deadly stingers that far south.

A road trip from Brisbane to Sydney or vice versa. Dive South West Rocks and Fish Rock Cave (South West Rocks Dive Centre is by far the best operator), lots of grey nurse sharks, South Solitary Island from Coffs Harbour, Julian Rocks from Byron Bay. Easy drive from each place to the next one after a day's diving. See my web site Michael McFadyen's Scuba Diving Web Site for more information on all the sites.

In January/Feb you will probably get surface temperature of around 24-25C or 75F, ( Woolgoolga Water Temperature | Australia | Sea Temperatures) in northern NSW. If you are flying into Brisbane then a hire car is probably the best bet.

I can recommend Dive Quest in Mullaway or South West Rocks Dive Centre in South West Rocks, in Northern NSW. Dive Quest dive the North Solitary Islands which have been a Marine park form ay years, and do a double dive. Good spot for grey Nurse Sharks.

Have a look at Broughton Island (close to Port Stephens and Nelson Bay - not sure if thats too south for you) - there's a grey nurse shark colony residing there and some wreck sites like the SS Macleay (deepish). Feet First Dive have regular 2-tank boat trips out there. There is some also cool shore diving with critters in Nelson Bay, see stuff like wobbegong sharks, blue ringed octopus, seahorses and nudis ;-)

Water temp around 24C, not sure about stingers but most people wear a full suit

Have a look at Broughton Island (close to Port Stephens and Nelson Bay - not sure if thats too south for you) - there's a grey nurse shark colony residing there and some wreck sites like the SS Macleay (deepish). Feet First Dive have regular 2-tank boat trips out there. There is some also cool shore diving with critters in Nelson Bay, see stuff like wobbegong sharks, blue ringed octopus, seahorses and nudis ;-)

Water temp around 24C, not sure about stingers but most people wear a full suit

Very good dive location, great for Grey Nurse Sharks and super for Macro on the shore dives. Stingers depend on wind, they are Blue Bottles, painful if stung but not deadly. You don't need to worry about them..Don't need full westsuit because of them

Blue bay divers will be the best op to use. Julian rocks is an excellent dive site and you never know what you will see there!

I enjoyed diving Julian Rocks with these guys in January this year. There is also some diving on the Gold Coast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom