Southeastern Lake Ontario Marine Sanctuary Proposal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tjbald11

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey everyone! The southeastern region of lake ontario is going to submit a proposal to have that area designated as a marine sanctuary. This would be huge and would help preserve the hundreds of wrecks in the area. They just released a Youtube video and launched their website. Spread the word!! I guess it's in the early stages, but the more exposure and support they get, the more likely it is of becoming a reality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f_iTuwbCzk

www.lakeontarionms.com

-Tyler

Oh and fellow SB member RochesterUE helped with the underwater footage

Wow!! Why? Designation of a marine sanctuary requires 3 things for Congress to act. The first is a unique place with a natural or heritage site. You have that with shipwrecks. The third is public request to protect the site, and this is the process you are in now. The second is a clear and direct threat to the area, which I don't see.

Asking for sanctuary status is a double edged sword. I am a great fan of sanctuaries when they are done right, and they all start with best intentions, but sadly, since they are run by humans, ego and government power override simple protection. Remember, as I said, Sanctuaries must protect a undersea (or lake) resource that is in danger of being lost.

Let's look at Stellwagen Bank. Stwllwagen bank is a whale sanctuary. Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary was formed to protect the right whales off of Boston from tourism, marine traffic, and research of the right whale. The fine folks at Stellwagen Bank are now proposing that all of their shipwrecks be dived only by permit, much like Monitor NMS. Wait. Monitor NMS practically destroyed the USS Monitor getting at the Dahlgren guns, the turret, and the boilers/engine before dumping them in a conservation pond. They've lost funding for the conservation effort, so instead of having an intact shipwreck, they have piles of junk in 2 places.

Flower Garden Banks and Florida Keys are better success stories. They were built to protect coral reefs, and they utilize a "whole ecosystem" approach to protection. They have areas off limits to boating where the fish thrive. They have diving only areas where someone can go look at these fish and the fish are not afraid. This makes the fishermen mad, but heck, they have whole oceans in which to beat the water to a froth.

While I agree with the concept of sanctuaries, the truth is that there is no commitment in congress to properly fund them. There has been no budget to provide for the operating costs for many of the sanctuary vessels in years. The Florida Keys built a new multimillion dollar outreach center in Key West that does not have an operating budget to buy electricity. The Flower Gardens have a multimillion dollar dive vessel that must compete with charter dive boats to make enough fuel and crew money to fulfill the sanctuary mission. The fault for this lies not at the local sanctuary office, but in Washington DC where the head of sanctuary programs wrote me a letter stating that the local manager "must do more with less", which is a total cop-out. He is currently on administrative leave. I hope he reads this, but he already knows I think he is a fool.

You ask why I bring this up? Well, because without effective, dedicated Law Enforcement, the sanctuary is just another set of rules with no teeth. We have enough of that to deal with, and if there is no or lax enforcement, then only the honest folks are honest, and the folks who will steal a ship's bell or poach a fish will do it anyway, and they won't be stopped or caught. Without the commitment from congress and NOAA to provide funding for the sanctuary to carry out it's mission, it';s just another set of rules for the honest people to follow, and for the operators and folks who regularly visit these places to have to follow. Of course, the wrecks (reefs, whales) don't normally need protection from those operators and regular visitors, they understand that their charter depends on the pristine-ness of the site, and they will take steps to maintain that quality. They don't need government help.

Wow!! Why? Designation of a marine sanctuary requires 3 things for Congress to act. The first is a unique place with a natural or heritage site. You have that with shipwrecks. The third is public request to protect the site, and this is the process you are in now. The second is a clear and direct threat to the area, which I don't see.

Asking for sanctuary status is a double edged sword. I am a great fan of sanctuaries when they are done right, and they all start with best intentions, but sadly, since they are run by humans, ego and government power override simple protection. Remember, as I said, Sanctuaries must protect a undersea (or lake) resource that is in danger of being lost.

Let's look at Stellwagen Bank. Stwllwagen bank is a whale sanctuary. Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary was formed to protect the right whales off of Boston from tourism, marine traffic, and research of the right whale. The fine folks at Stellwagen Bank are now proposing that all of their shipwrecks be dived only by permit, much like Monitor NMS. Wait. Monitor NMS practically destroyed the USS Monitor getting at the Dahlgren guns, the turret, and the boilers/engine before dumping them in a conservation pond. They've lost funding for the conservation effort, so instead of having an intact shipwreck, they have piles of junk in 2 places.

Flower Garden Banks and Florida Keys are better success stories. They were built to protect coral reefs, and they utilize a "whole ecosystem" approach to protection. They have areas off limits to boating where the fish thrive. They have diving only areas where someone can go look at these fish and the fish are not afraid. This makes the fishermen mad, but heck, they have whole oceans in which to beat the water to a froth.

While I agree with the concept of sanctuaries, the truth is that there is no commitment in congress to properly fund them. There has been no budget to provide for the operating costs for many of the sanctuary vessels in years. The Florida Keys built a new multimillion dollar outreach center in Key West that does not have an operating budget to buy electricity. The Flower Gardens have a multimillion dollar dive vessel that must compete with charter dive boats to make enough fuel and crew money to fulfill the sanctuary mission. The fault for this lies not at the local sanctuary office, but in Washington DC where the head of sanctuary programs wrote me a letter stating that the local manager "must do more with less", which is a total cop-out. He is currently on administrative leave. I hope he reads this, but he already knows I think he is a fool.

You ask why I bring this up? Well, because without effective, dedicated Law Enforcement, the sanctuary is just another set of rules with no teeth. We have enough of that to deal with, and if there is no or lax enforcement, then only the honest folks are honest, and the folks who will steal a ship's bell or poach a fish will do it anyway, and they won't be stopped or caught. Without the commitment from congress and NOAA to provide funding for the sanctuary to carry out it's mission, it';s just another set of rules for the honest people to follow, and for the operators and folks who regularly visit these places to have to follow. Of course, the wrecks (reefs, whales) don't normally need protection from those operators and regular visitors, they understand that their charter depends on the pristine-ness of the site, and they will take steps to maintain that quality. They don't need government help.

well said. I have no part in the proposal besides support and like I said, my friend provided some underwater footage. I'm not really sure where there is a direct threat, so I'm not sure how they will swing that. Currently there are zero people enforcing laws. If this passed one could hope that there would become some form of enforcement. I also think it would be great for the dive community to show off some of the wrecks. I think it would educate more people of the wrecks and their history. However, this too is a double edged sword. More knowledge and interest means more people that could disobey the rules and destroy or damage the wrecks. Definitely some good and bad....not far off from diving in the keys. You have increased education of the reefs and increased tourism, but you also have divers destroying the fragile ecosystem with their fins, etc.

being based in key west, what is your thought on that? My father has a place in new town in key west, so I dive there relatively frequently, so I know the area.

It really upsets me seeing divers who maybe don't dive very often touching and messing with the vandy and natural reefs. Yes, the vandy is an artificial reef set up for economic (and environmental) purposes, and its a great wreck to explore, but its still a reef. No touching of it in any way IMHO. I fear the same could happen if some of these somewhat unknown wrecks in Lake Ontario become more widely visited.

Back
Top Bottom