Southeast Asia with a baby in November-December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anchochile

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are planning an 6-8 week trip to Southeast Asia later this year when our son is 8-10 months old (taking advantage of our parental leave from work). This will not be specifically a diving trip, but my wife will likely be newly certified and we definitely want to include a few diving destinations in our itinerary.

We're looking for places that hit the sweet spot:
  • Good-to-great diving, including at least some beginner-friendly diving for my wife
  • Decent diving conditions in November and/or December
  • No malaria (the kiddo will be too young for prophylactic meds)
  • Enough infrastructure that we could take the baby to an acceptable hospital if he gets sick
So far, I've come up with just a few options:
  • Thailand - Koh Lanta or Ko Phi Phi (sounds like Koh Lanta is better for kids)
  • Bali (Tulamben, Candidasa, and Padang Bai areas)
  • Gili Islands, Indonesia
As for other areas, it seems like pretty much everywhere else in the region either has malaria, or is out-of-season for diving in those months.

Is there anywhere else we haven't thought of that might tick all the boxes we need?

On Lanta and Phi Phi there are medical clinics (4 on Lanta) plus small hospital around 30 minute drive from most of the resorts capable of handling minor issues but be aware serious illnesses will require ferry and car trips to either Krabi, Trang or Phuket hospitals with Phuket being the most "westernised". The hospitals on Phi Phi and Lanta are more "field based" hospitals so bear in mind and the clinics are not 24 hours AFAIK.

Your options in Bali as far as hospitals are also quite far from Tulumben etc - Hospitals and Clinics in Bali, Indonesia

However you won't have to be dependant on a ferry to get off the island should you need a hospital for any serious conditions in an emergency so personally with an infant I would err on the side of being a paranoid parent and opt for Bali.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom