Southeast Asia on December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Juho

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any recommendations on the best dive destinations on December anywhere within reasonable reach from Singapore? Main preference is large pelagics but world class smaller stuff will do as well. Based on searches from other threads and the net Bali seems to be too rainy, Philippines might be a bit off and not season for whale sharks. I've already been to the Similan Islands and Richelieu Rock as well as Sipadan.

I'm mainly looking for budget alternatives but any liveboard that is good value for the money can be considered. Most important is the quality of the dives, not so much the luxury in the boat. I got about 270 dives and PADI RD + EAN40% training and almost all of the dives are from tropical waters. More challenging dives are ok.

Destinations that would allow me to combine surfing, windsurfing, jungle safaris and land animal encounters would be great (can't help thinking about Sabah and Sipadan, but already done that :wink:!

Have you looked into Malapascua ? The thresher sharks are there year round, and mantas and devil rays are frequent visitors too. The macro there is very good too - flamboyant cuttlefish, pygmy seahorses, bobtail squid, mandarinfish, frogfish and a myriad of nudis...

If you're looking for challenging dives, check out Pulau Weh in Indonesia too. Sumatra has some good land options too...

Agreed with BJ. Malapascua is a top, top destination with a wide range of diving opportunities. As mentioned you have all the big stuff (except Whale Shark) and all the small stuff, and wrecks, reefs and muck diving in between. If you're ready for a challenge then contact Evolution and consider going to the next level with some technical training. The best way to avoid the crowds is a fantastic 45 metre dive with the Thresher Sharks at Monad. Breath taking but challenging and very thought provoking! Cebu is very easy to get to from Singapore.

I would do Bohol/Panglao,Dauin/Apo then Moalboal/Pescador before traveling to Malapascua/Gato. The Thresher Shark dive is a kneel down & wait dive @ 28 meters in poor viz. IMHO it's a one time dive,come up and go to Gato Island.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

The Thresher Shark dive is a kneel down & wait dive @ 28 meters in poor viz.

Not to be picky, but the threshers are at 22-24m (depending on the tide), and the visability actually changes - it's usually very good (at least 15m+)... Maybe your timing wasn't very fortunate from a visability point of view, Tom...

Back
Top Bottom