South-West France: Shore dives near Agde

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wibble

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Have a diving trip to the Lot region north of Toulouse and really would like to take a day out to dive in the Mediterranean Sea.

The town of Agde seems a good place that's easy to get to from where we're staying and there's a lot of dive shops there.

Questions:
  • Any recommendations for a dive shop in Agde that wouldn't be phased about some people turning up with rebreathers on a recreational boat.
  • Any recommendations for shore dives around Agde?
  • Any website recommendations for dive sites around that area?

Thanks!

The only 2 sites about shore diving I know of :

As far as Agde is concerned, it may not be the best place for diving : often windy, cold and green water, with murky viz because of sandy bottom. Les dalles (aka les tables) or Fort Brescou are not so bad, but it's been more than 25 years since I've been there, so things may have changed and I don't know any operators in the area.

The "étang de Thau" shouldn't be too complicated to reach from the Lot. Several opportunity to dive from shore, and THE place to see sea horses. No operators on site, but several around the Montpellier area.

Port Vendres would be my best guess. Not been there for 2 years, but this operator is good : large parking space, lots of different dive sites, all mixes available, but no shore dive I'm afraid, or at least that I know of.

Try Abyss in Cap d'Agde. They are pretty decent.

Parking is tight near the shop but a good public car park just a short walk away. You can also rent a self drive boat in Cap. There is a good little reef off the shore if you park at the top car park of Allée dykes and take the (long) stairs to plage de la conque. A little further towards the port and there is a really good snorkel site with no hard work and easy parking.

Nearby are a few decent places to eat on rue de l'Estacade. The panoramic resturant by the Capitainerie is very good.

The further west you go the better the diving. It is not much further to go to Leucate and it is better there IMHO. There is a good centre on the dockside which is open all year.

Not aware of any shore sites there though. Leucate is a popular tourist venue with good eating and other tourist related things. It is in the Corbieres region so many opportunities for wine tasting. Driving inland there is some spectacular scenery (and to be fair near Agde too). If you have time go to the Millau bridge it is 110Km from Montpellier so a little bit more from Agde, but decent road there and back.

Who are you diving with in the Lot?

Back
Top Bottom