South Korea Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey there

There is some good diving in Korea but the area is affected quite a bit by the weather. July time is meant to be the rainy season here but if it is anything like last years rainy season then this will be more of an inconvenience as opposed to a barrier.

Options really depend on your free time and where you are going to be based while here. If you can then Jeju island has about the best diving on offer in South Korea. If you have any Korean language skills then just head to any store you can find on the padi store locator or any other directory or internet search you can find, if you need an English speaking service then you need to contact Ralf in Big Blue 33.

From the mainland the west coast is generally the worst and the east and south the best, which one depends on the time of year. Typically southely winds drop the visibility on the south coast for the first half of the year but you can still get lucky with vis up to 15M. The south coast is more colourful with lots of little islands. The east coast has some good locations and even wrecks and is more likely your dive destination if you are basing yourself in Seoul. If you are staying in Seoul then look up Russ in Deep Blue Quest for service in English.

I am based in a city on the south coast called Busan and am generally diving every weekend with Sea World Dive Center. If you'd like to see some pics of the dives then check out my facebook group busan scuba.

Depending on where your diving has been to date you might want to consider the water temp here, it can get pretty cold. The south coast is fairly predictable but the east can bounce between 8 and 20 degrees without much warning. The south is about 12 now and will rise to about 24 steadily till about September then start to drop again. Visibility on the east coast is often around 10M but can drop to just a couple after a heavy rainfall but reach 30M on a really special day. The south, I guess can be about the same.

Feel free to drop me a line if you want any more specific info

Back
Top Bottom