South East Asian Diving survey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Belushi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi guys,
I have lived and worked in Thailand and Malaysia for nearly 8 years about 8 years ago
ScubaBaby and I are coming to the end of our UK tenure (i.e. had enough of being sensible and it is time to get the rucksack out) and I am starting to look for places to go to to work and play.

I am a crusty old Instructor with no languages but a propensity for being able to teach anyone and the S/O is going to be a newbie instructor with no languages but a very organised methodical mind and loads of office training.

I would like some opinions on what peeps think on our best prospects for working in the diving industry in and around Phillipines, Indonesia or anywhere arund that sort of area.

We could go back to to Thailand or Malaysia, but I dont want to spoil the memories I had of the superb time I had the last time I was there.

So, what do you lot reckon? Should we go to language school first? I realise that this will endear us to employers more (I used to be an employer in Thailand) Can we find work in the area?

As far as accommodation goes, and the cost of living, a little idea would go a long way.

not being an instructor or really affiliated with a dive op, i can at least say that language is not a problem in the philippines (do you spika inglesh? kidding)

especially in PG a lot of the instructors are foreigners and this allows them to advertise the ability to conduct SCUBA lessons in a whole globe of languages (german, korean, chinese, dutch, french, etc.)...

you won't have to work at learning the local language as even the lowliest boatman is able to converse in english - learning the local language can be something you develop while here

cost of living, especially when compared to euros, is pretty low

regarding work... i'd contact the PG operators via their websites or major ops like scubaworld or aquaventure - they may have a need or slot for a non-filipino instructor or 2 in their ops

hope it helps

Jag

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom