South Africa Sardine Run 2012 Video Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heya, I would love to try to catch the next run!
Any ideas on the best areas, dive operators and pricing?

Google has gotten me to prodive.co.za and http://www.scubaaddicts.com
But there must be smaller dive operators that can take one out during the Sardine Runs?

Cheers

Heya, I would love to try to catch the next run!
Any ideas on the best areas, dive operators and pricing?
Cheers
I'm glad you liked my video! I went with SEAL Expeditions and was very satisfied. The leader, Nic, is very well organized, has everything under control, is dependable and responsive to guests' needs. Coming from USA, it was an expensive trip for me but worth every penny. He has more than one web site, try this one first: Tour Itinerary for the Sardine run or contact Nic at info@sardinerun.com

Tell him that Craig sent you.

Please check out my Pacific Ocean Giant Manta Ray video, give it a thumbs up and leave a comment if you're so inclined (be sure to see the "shark nest" near the end!): Giant Pacific Ocean Manta Rays in HD - Solmar V, Socorro Island, Mexico - YouTube

Last edited:
Looks like great activity! Would love to do this one.

Why was everyone freediving...isn't SCUBA allowed by the operator?

On your trip, how many dives and how many times did you actually see the sardine action?

Everyone is an experienced SCUBA diver, prepared to go into the water instantly and we did get wet with tanks multiple times. The probability of encountering large, early stage sardine bait balls depends in large part on the amount of time spent on the water - the more days you are available the better your chances; you may see none.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom