South Africa diving - overview?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
We plan to travel next July 2018 to SA and were wondering whether to try to get in the water this trip.

Can someone give me a short overview of the diving in SA?

We have dived cold water in the past but now we pretty much just dive warm (80F, 25C) water.

Thanks,

Bill & Emily

We plan to travel next July 2018 to SA and were wondering whether to try to get in the water this trip.

Can someone give me a short overview of the diving in SA?

We have dived cold water in the past but now we pretty much just dive warm (80F, 25C) water.

Thanks,

Bill & Emily

Where in South Africa are you traveling to?

The country of South Africa. So far we have identified that we plan to go to Kruger park, CapeTown, and the Garden route (like 99.99% of all the other tourists, right?)

Please feel free to add suggestions. If we hear of great warm-water diving in the area (i.e. the country), we might check it out.

- Bill & EMily

The North East side is apparently amazing, especially Mozambique if you like hump back whales and mantas of course. I've got friends who dived there this year and I've stopped listening to the stories because they make me jealous!

The sardine run is something you should also consider, it's mainly snorkelling rather diving as all the action happens at the surface with pelagic's feeding on the bait balls

Apparently May to Sept is a good time

Water temp are around 20 - 25 so thick wetsuits or drysuits. I'm planning my trip there for next year

According to your travel plans as you've set it out above you won't be visiting our East coast where the majority of diving is done in the Indian Ocean. If you want the prime spots you need to visit Sodwana bay or Umkomaas (Aliwal Shoal) even though a fair amount of diving is also done inbetween these areas (there are some wrecks around Durban to dive). Just note that the two areas mentioned I quite far appart.
July is winter in the Soutern hemisphere but the water temps in those areas rarely goes below 20C, persanlally I've never dived there with more than a 5mm suite. Mostly reef dives, beautiful and you can do some baited shark dives at Aliwal (a must do actualy), there are some wrecks around the Umkomaas area as well.
Sodwana has a network of reefs from shallow to deep, search for a dive map location of the area. It is a very popular area and a prime dive location. I've used these guys mostly and can recommend them Diving Sodwana Bay, Self Catering Accommodation at ReefTeach Sodwana Bay

Another prime tourist diving spot is in the country of Mozambuique as mentioned above. Driving there you go through the South African border at Kosi bay to Ponta D'Ora. Nice setup and predominently a diving destination, but it is not accessable with a regular vehicle, you have to have a 4wheel drive vehicle, you are duning for 30+ km from the border to the town, no road signs, all add to the exitement and adventure of diving Ponta. A short dive further north is Ponta Malongane, just as nice and less crowded over holidays. Keep in mind that it isn't 3 - 5 star villas etc., it is rustic but not dumps and very accomodating for a dive week or weekend.

You mention Cape Town, you can dive from Houtbay or Saldanha bay (where our navy dive unit is trained) and various other placed, but being winter and the Atlantic ocean, it is extremely cold. The avg sea temperature in July around Cape Town is 14C. Some kelp forests and there are also many wrecks to dive, and of course also know waters for the great white, but don't let then scare you.......

Since you're heading Kruger Park - head to Sodwana Bay at least for some of the best Fish Life in the country (comparable to Moz imo) and nice warm water diving
For Cape Town you're looking at doing some Cold Water diving with mostly coral/wrecks and Great Whites if thats your thing

I should warn you that SA diving is not “white glove” like the Caribbean. Entries/exits can be challenging and require a greater level of dexterity and fitness. IOW this is really not warm water wuss diving. If you’re used to someone setting up your gear and a gentle climb up a ladder onto a 40’ dive boat where a snack and drink await you, think again.

I should warn you that SA diving is not “white glove” like the Caribbean. Entries/exits can be challenging and require a greater level of dexterity and fitness. IOW this is really not warm water wuss diving. If you’re used to someone setting up your gear and a gentle climb up a ladder onto a 40’ dive boat where a snack and drink await you, think again.

I'm glad you mentioned that. I am a wuss. I don't carry my gear (bad back). I can set it up though!

- Bill

Just the way we like it !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom