Source for SPG spools?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteSands

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Different manufacturers use different designs of spools and I am looking for an online source that sells most if not all of the commonly used spool designs.

Must be able to ship internationally. Where do you usually buy from?

Also the o-rings used in these spools look similar but I suspect some like Aqualung use slightly thicker o-rings than the usual ones. Is there a reference chart out there that specify this?

Thanks!

how many spool designs do you use? All of my "brass and glass" spg's whether it be the slimline ones with plastic lenses for sidemount/stages or the big ass 2.5" ones use the same spool. I have only ever seen a spool without a flange used on the cheap plastic gauges that if you are in fact a DIR Practictioner, you wouldn't be using anyway because they aren't compatible. The DGX ones are the ones compatible with most every SPG out there and whether some mfg's use slightly different ones doesn't really matter. Remember they all have to go inside of the same hose. DGX will be the cheapest source of the standard ones,
http://www.piranhadivemfg.com/category/HP-Spools-Stems-197
Piranha does have the rest, albeit quite expensive

I am one cheap bastard... but serious... I'm done screwing with those tiny O-rings... Wish i knew they were this cheap when i last placed an order - for a bunch of stainless barrel clips (which seem to be of excellent quality - so far). ..

I am one cheap bastard... but serious... I'm done screwing with those tiny O-rings... Wish i knew they were this cheap when i last placed an order - for a bunch of stainless barrel clips (which seem to be of excellent quality - so far). ..

I agree, when I figured out how cheap the spools are, they immediately because disposable. At less than a buck it's just not worth replacing the o-rings.

how many spool designs do you use? All of my "brass and glass" spg's whether it be the slimline ones with plastic lenses for sidemount/stages or the big ass 2.5" ones use the same spool. I have only ever seen a spool without a flange used on the cheap plastic gauges that if you are in fact a DIR Practictioner,

Just as a point, there are a couple glass gauge and hose combos that don't work with the DGE ones. (and on the other hand I have gotten them to work with some larger plastic gauges, that used to have the straight spool.) I imagine that some combos of hose and glass SPG are just expecting the variation of the spool with a thinner flat area.

My personal view is the O-Ring on the swivel is the failure point, and I'd rather not possibly nick an O-Ring forcing it onto a spool, so I have switched to only using the DGE with the O-rings pre-mounted and getting rid of gauges that won't take them.

They are great quality in heavy rental daily use. I have yet to have had to swap any out in 3-4 years, that I have noticed. But are they actually stainless?

The ones coming out are all chromed brass which is how the plastic gauges tend to die - from chemical welding the spool into the SPG area. You can unscrew the bit it's stuck in and replace that, but.

Gack!

$9.00 for the swivel?

At that point, someone has to be selling a thin plastic face brass gauge cheap enough to swap to that gauge, right?

But I cannot find the sort of dirt cheap metric gauge I want for rental. I really want a brass and plastic thin metric gauge for $35.00.

Last edited:
Here is a nice o-ring size list. https://www.oringsusa.com/html/scuba.html .

A couple weeks back, while sourcing a larger order of o-rings for a friend in Cozumel, I found Global Oring and Seal out of Houston and they sold me duro 90, AS568-003 Orings at $3.30 per hundred ($0.033 each)

Every time I order another DGX MAX light for someone on the island @ $49.95, I get another $0.75 HP spool to qualify for free shipping

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom