Source for Canister Light battery pack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can always build your own pack from cells. The website you refer to has cells with tabs for easy assembly, connectors and shrink tube. It is not the least expensive website though. You only have to keep in mind that lithium packs should be assembled with PCB that protect cells from overcharging/discharging and some of the PCBs can also balance charging. I would rather use NiMh cells because you don't need balancing - just watch not to overload with higher than nominal current during the charge. Also NiMh are more forgiving when you flood them - if it happens at shallow depth they will probably recover with minimal casualty rate per pack. Flooded Lithium will not only be dead but also can cause chemical fire.

One notice is that if you ever have to find a new battery for Salvo 21W HID light head you have to use NiMh cells to provide 12V or use regulator ($20) if you use Li-Ion pack because stupid ballast in Salvos doesn't work with voltage over 12V.

Batteryspace is my source for batteries as well :) I would definitely recommend them too

I don't know if you would have access to any or not, but I use old batteries from cordless drills that have died. We have a few lying around work, so I just match one up with its charger. I've taken the plastic housing off, and reconfigured the cells to fit in my canister, but kept the adapter end so that I acn still charge it. I'm using a Dewalt 18V right now that cost me nothing, and it gives me over 2 hours burn time on my 1200 lumen light. Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom