Sound Signaling Devices - Whistle vs Dive Alert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UaVaj

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
What are the distance that can be hear from a good whistle compare to a Dive Alert.

Dive Alert (the one that mounts to your bc inflator hose) claim it can be heard over a mile. Any truth to that?

If so. What is the measured decibel? Being that loud - could it cause ear damage?

Also - what is the hearing distance for a whistle and what is the measured decibel for a whistle.

Thanks.

I have a whistle and a dive alert. I wouldn't want to rely on my whistle to be heard at any distance. The dive alert is very loud and high pitched. It will turn heads. If you have any concerns about your safety and a greater chance of being located, get a dive alert and a big surface marker.

My experience with a DiveAlert is that it was very easily not only heard but paid attention to at over a quarter mile. It's not an expensive gadget in scuba terms, but I think it's a very good one, and my husband and I both own them and carry them on boat dives.

What are the distance that can be hear from a good whistle compare to a Dive Alert.

Dive Alert (the one that mounts to your bc inflator hose) claim it can be heard over a mile. Any truth to that?

If so. What is the measured decibel? Being that loud - could it cause ear damage?

Also - what is the hearing distance for a whistle and what is the measured decibel for a whistle.

Thanks.

I dive with both. I have a Storm whistle (loudest whistle in the world but know where near a Dive Alert) attached to a D-ring on BC as a backup to the Dive Alert. I also carry a signal mirror, dive tube and strobe all of which fit in a small mesh bag that I carry in my BC pocket.

Here's a link to reviews on all types of signaling devices.

Lost (And Found) At Sea - Scuba Diving Magazine

Thanks for the link. One Dive Alert on order tonight.

Good report, heres the conclusion:
6. CONCLUSIONS

It is not possible to draw statistical significance from the results due to the wide range of variables. The summarised data do however provide an indication of the range of location distances for individual devices and enables direct comparisons between devices. The collated data (section 4.3) clearly demonstrate three main observations:
Relocation distances of devices decrease with increasing wave height.
Relocation distances of devices decrease as light intensity falls whilst those devices which provide a light source are more readily located as light intensity decreases.
Relocation distances of devices are increased at elevated observation heights.
Additional to this, detailed notes and comments were recorded on daily record sheets. In particular, the names of individual observers were attributed to a significant proportion of each device relocations. The deployment and relocation of devices were plotted for most trial days and correlated with search aspect and wind direction. The following observations were clearly apparent:
Relocation distances of some devices are optimised from particular search aspects.
The ability of individuals to relocate visual devices varies greatly.
The folding divers flag with a day-glow yellow pennant is considered to be the best all round location device. Devices including flags and paired buoys are more clearly observed when the search aspect is abeam to the direction of wind due to the larger surface area that is presented to the observer. Flags are not located by helicopter as readily as from vessels.

Finally took the dive alert out of the package today and played with it. OMG is this thing ever freakin loud or what. I think I need to invest in a pair of ear plug.

What is the decibel on this thing again? I am estimating in the 160db range or louder.

Anyone here death because of it? Being death gotta be better than drifting out to sea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom