Souda Bay/Chania, Greece Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChunksJR

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey there all!

Just a quick report about the dive conditions and how much fun we had out of Souda Bay, Crete.

My ship pulled into Souda Bay, Crete/Greece following a 7-month deployment and we had a great opportunity to dive, thanks to GREAT customer service provided by Blue Adventures Diving in Chania, Crete. They are very close to the marina in the Old Port. Don't hesitate to get in touch with this PADI 5-star Instructor development Center! Here's their website: Blue Adventures Diving - Home page

We got in on Friday and I arranged, via email with "Maria" the owner, for 15 of us from the ship to meet Sunday morning at the dive shop that had closed it's doors for the winter. She was more than cordial and said that she'd take groups as little as 4 out with prior coordination.

The plan was to take 2 RHIBs out to some of the great cave/cavernous diving that the area provides, but instead, mother nature decided to kick winds up to 15-20kts and provide a small craft advisory in the AM. Oh well...I figured the dive would be canceled all together, but instead, the shop rented a 8-person van at the local car rental place and pack us in for a shore tour in Afrata, Crete (about 20km north of Chania). After meeting in the morning at the shop very conveniently located near the "tourist" areas of Chania, and taking cash only (since the credit card machine was closed out for the winter) we packed into the vans to go to the equipment storage shop (about 10min away from downtown location) and get our 5MM suits, rental equipment and sign the obligatory paperwork. It was a very smooth operation and the equipment was good quality in great shape with little to no issues for any of us.

We again packed in the vans and headed to Afrata, where we stopped at a rocky beach to get our gear ready and suited up. There were a few spear-fishermen there, so it was obvious that this beach was regularly used for diving/fishing. It's through the mountains and part of the highlights of the trip was the beautiful scenery. Anywho, getting into the 64 degree water was easy and after about a 30m kick, we dropped into 20' of crystal clear water, with soft corals coating the bottom of this beautiful area of the island. The dive was uneventful with all of us getting accustomed to diving again and just enjoying the scenery. Not a lot of aquatic life around, but it was very similar to San Diego dives that I've done, but amazing visibility.

Came back, off-gassed and got a 2nd dive done, much the same as the first, but equally awesome...I only wish that we could have stayed longer so that I would have been able to enjoy the caves that the area is known for...next time.

But, I will say that if you're looking for an amazing shop and great people, look no further than Souda Bay/Chania and the professionals at Blue Adventures!

~dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom