Sort of a call out today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We had a couple of dogs through the ice today. There were enough of us on duty that there wasn’t a need for a team page.

I was just checking out at my zero when I hear the call come out so I ask the Marine Sgt. if he wanted me to respond. “Yup”, so I’m in route at 1608. This is a non code run because nobody is on the ice with the dogs.

Fire gets there at 1619 because their station is less than a mile a way. I get on scene at 1628 and find out there is only about 50’ of suitable rope and another 50’ of ¼” line on the truck with the Rescue Alive. Not acceptable at all. I carry almost 600’ in my rig alone. Each team member carries at least 275’ in their vehicle with their dive gear.

So we supply 600’ of line and one of the two dogs was recovered. Sadly one disappeared under the ice and the other didn’t make it despite CPR efforts on shore. :(

We are going to do some PSA’s over the next few days in hopes of keeping the public off the rotten but good looking ice.

Gary D.

Sorry to hear that. I'm somewhat heartened to hear you guys go out to rescue dogs as well as people, hopefully without undue risk!

If we don’t do it the public does. Then we end up going after people and the dogs. Like us, a lot of people treat their dogs better than their kids. :D

Gary D.

Gary, thanks for you and your team's effort. Yeah, if it was my dog, I'd do what I could to save him. So I guess you guys putting your team at risk for the dog is better than having to rescue/recover the owners.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom