Sorry Rick your SOL on this one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
You should remember the fiasco with the Darwin Boys on 122604. We went and did some training dives under the ice where they lost the shotguns.

At first we thought one was 180’ from shore in 19’ of water and the other around 20-50’ from shore in 9” of water.

The reality is one was 185’ from shore in 22’ of water and the other which I tried to argue with the Captain about was, get this, 3’ from shore in 3’ of water. Both were loaded, chambered and the safety off.

I test fired the rounds on the way back to the office. All 6 rounds fired as they were designed to.

Had there not been any ice on the lake it would have been in clear view of the road and within reach of dozens of school kids walking home every day.

Now I wish the A-hole Captain were still here so I could rub it in his face and then deposit the weapon where there isn’t much sun. I just can’t believe how lucky we were that a kid didn’t get their hands on them and kill someone.

The camo one in the pic was the one closest to shore. I'll post them in my gallery when the board is back up.

Hey Rick, We didn't let you be the middle man this time :^)

Gary D.

Amazing how well modern weapons and ammunition survive a dunking.

Good job on picking those up before they caused more trouble.

This Ice Training was a good one.

We had about every kind of ice there is from just a thin clear skin next to open water, two inches of super strong crystal clear ice we couldn’t break jumping on, 6 inches of weak clear ice that would give way if you walked to fast and 6” milky white stuff that wouldn’t hold a leaf if it landed hard.

Water depth was 22’ or less in the training area so good buoyancy control was a must. Air temp on both days was in the mid 40’s with sun the first day and light rain on and off the second day. Water temp was 36 to 38 df.
Visibility was, hahahahaha, don’t extend your arm too far or you’d lose it never to bee seen again. The second diver down in the same search area was imitating Ray Charles.

All but one of the team members dove three times each day for s rough total of 3 hours each on the bottom. The one is still recovering from the ear infection he got from Fernan this summer.

One of the Firemen who is trying to get on the team is a good diver but ice is new to him. So, hehehe, he got the Gary D, treatment, hehehehe. Not much shakes him. He was restricted to 20’ of line to get comfortable under the ice.

He is an Ice Rescue Instructor but for surface only. He does our surface rescue re-certifications. Now paybacks can get some big grins displayed on faces and he knew something was going to happen.

Before anyone gets upset, when I messed with him he was directly under the hole on a 5’ leash and 3 safety divers ready to go.

His mask didn’t seem to be sealing right so I did some adjustment. He fixed what I did without so much as a flinch. Having a Sherwood Maximus, I opened it up to simulate a free flow. He corrected the problem without a second thought. His air just up and quit so he went to the Octo, which worked a little before it quit, so he grabbed mine. He lost a fin, which he re-hooked and replaced without a hitch.

The grand faunally, long drum roll, Zipper failure. His wife is going to kill me. Cold water in a warm suit makes for a quick innie. He did good, gave me a cold sign, then surface and up we went, all 5 feet.

Lunch was Mexican the first day and steaks the second day. The only causality was a broken dry cuff ring on the suit side of one suit.

We are scheduled for a night dive next week and two more training days next month on top of our in-service training. Every year during the last two weeks of February we do all of our LEO re-certification stuff. So February is basically a training month. Half of the division trains and half works. The next week we switch. This system works great.

Gary D.

All very amusing.. until the zipper failure BRRRR!
We did surface Ice rescue training a few weeks ago, found out one of our suits had a hole in the crotch, I felt for the guy but I couldnt help laugh :D

Back
Top Bottom