sorry - another looking at new gear and seeking valuable advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shlincoln

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

Sorry to ask for input on this - I know it's been done hundreds/thousands/millions of times before - but i'm going to do it anyways....

I'm in Australia and prices are not as good as in the US/UK?etc... I won't go into pricing really just what i'm looking at and where it fits in on the $$ scale.

I'm currently looking at getting into some new gear and new gear for my financial advisor (my wife)

Looking at:
BC
Regs
Suit

Here's where I'm at:

BC - looking at BP/W. I have two options here.

1. Halcyon Eclipse - 30lb wing
2. Zeagle with deluxe or normal harness - 35lb wing.

Looking at aluminium BP for travel. Will be adding wieght pocket options.

Note: Halcyon system comes in at a lot more, in fact almost twice as much as the Zeagle. Is it really twice as good? Worth the extra almost double price for it?

Regs etc...
Zeagle 50D, with ZX Second stage DIN & yoke adapter - these are a good price at the moment.
Zeagle Envoy octopus
Zeagle N2ition 2 wrist computer
Standard Termo SPG

Suit
Currently thinking cressi Lontro - but yet to try it on, so there's room for negotiation there if the fit's not right.

Any comments on the above would be appreciated. At this stage I'm still trying to justify the purchase with my wife - she's not all that keen on spending - even though i'm doing most of the spending.....

As for the diving - mostly in Oz with a little travel abroad. All single tank at the moment. Don't really go any colder than about 15 decs celcius and don't plan to in the near futire without a dry suit.

Welcome!

Of your options listed, I can only speak to the bp-w. With Halcyon, you're paying for the name. It's kind of like the Gucci (sp?) of scuba. It's good and solid equipment, but there exist other brands just as solid, but for much cheaper. When putting together my bp-w doubles rig, I looked at Halcyon, Deep Sea Supply (DSS), and some others. I went with DSS and have been very happy. Tobin (owner of DSS?) has excellent customer service and you can find his posts all over this board. He's extremely helpful.

Hope you get the answer you want.

Enjoy

Thanks for the post - appreciated. I'll have to check out the DSS rig.... not sure I can go the extra mile for the name thing - I do like the look of the Halcyon - but I could almost get both BP/W's for the price of one of those....

BP/W- I would stay away from aluminum backplates, if you want lightweight for travel look at the Kydex backplates from DSS, very lightweight. Niether is particularly negatively bouyant and the kydex is much lighter for travel.

Regs- I LOVE Zeagle regs, I really think you making a good choice there, but I don't really like the 50D. It is a DS-V plus a swivel turret, which actually hurts its overall performance, not to mention adds unneccasary failure points to the reg. Not saying it will fail, but the only reason to have a turret is to make up for bad hose routing, which the DS-V doesn't have any problems with. I would recommend saving a couple of bucks on the DS-V over the 50D and using it to upgrade to a Miflex hose to your primary 2nd stage.

Wetsuits- I have found the Pinnacle (now owned by Zeagle) are some of the best fitting and comfortable suits out there. I love their drysuits as well.
Drysuits- if you decide to go that route, take a serious look at the White's Fusion. If I were in the market for a new drysuit I would buy that thing in a second, I've used it and it is fantastic.

Thanks meesier - I've now checked the DSS info and it does look good. Does not look to be many suppliers here in Oz. Good point on the failure point on the 50D - had not thought of that really.

Thanks for all the pointers.... it all helps.

:happywave:

have you contacted Chris at www.divetub.com.au for zeagle gear?

also, for a sydney suit - you cannot go past Brian at Seatec Product Catalogue Brian makes EXCELLENT suits and hes in sydney (seven hills in the sydney burbs) so custom made or repairs are very easy to arrange (ive had one stitch repair in 10yrs of owning my suit and he did it while i was waiting)

Thanks almitywife - i've got some quotes of chris - he's been very helpful so far and very reasonable on the $$ front!

Will check the suits you mentioned.... thanks again. The Pinnacle is also looking an option now....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom