Sopras Tek. Any thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mabaw

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
i was looking for a single wing when i came across this

https://www.amazon.com/Sopras-Tek-U...rs=13662924011&ie=UTF8&qid=1520757647&sr=8-12

i think this is the cheapest single wing available. at least one that i could find. in fancy red which i like. next up is DGX single wing

looking at their profile (amazon and ebay) i conclude that they went to oem and slap their own brand as they had a myriad of products. Could you identify which big brand uses the same design wing?

thanks

I think you should order one and let us know. It’s a dive rite travel wing from the looks of the design, I have the XT version and like it.

ordered one earlier today
will probably be in my hand in about a month time
i have no experience with BP/W setup
and this is my first BC. Just renting all this while

I have the Sopras Tek Compact Lite BC, which has a similar wing. When I was initially doing research for it, there was very little info to find. There's just one thread on scubaboard that mentions the company, a few YouTube videos on their channel, and their company website, that if you dig into it enough, you'll find product catalogue PDF's.

I'm new to BC buying as well, but the construction, at least on the Compact Lite seems pretty good. The outer shell is fabric and has a hidden zipper to allow access to the bladder within. The whole thing seems very modular - shell, bladder, inflator and purge value - all seem to be replaceable.

I've been buying dive gear like a fiend lately but haven't had the time to actually test most of it!

I’m considering buying their universal BCD that they state is as good as the Hollis universal BCD that you can use as a rear mount or side mount I am a advanced diver however I am looking to get more technical and I am ready to purchase a new BCD and thought that it might not be a bad idea to purchase this one because it’s about $500 cheaper than the Hollis. IThought that I could transition from back mount to side mount using this BCD. I would appreciate anyone’s opinion on this and how they feel in regards to it

I looked at these when I was shopping for one. Only had red (not tacticool enough for me). Bought the DGX one and am happy with it.

I bought the 50# Doubles Wing: Amazon.com : Donut x-tech Bladder { 50 lb | 23 kg } black twin Tank Wing Underwater Scuba Diving Freediving Spearfishing Gear tech diving bcd : Sports & Outdoors . In fact, the one review on it is mine! I was going to write a bunch of stuff about it, but my Amazon review pretty much covers it, so check it out and ask any questions you might have. It even has a photo comparing it to a couple of Halcyon Explorer wings.

In my case, I was looking for a replacement for my worn-out Halcyon Explorer 40: a small and compact doubles wing. There are *very* few wings of this size and shape: basically just the Halcyon Evolve 40. (I rejected the Dive Rite rec wing: I've used a Trek wing previously and do not like the "it's a single! it's a double!" compromises...)

The Halcyon was just *so* darn expensive. (I was also still pretty bitter about the way my Explorer 40 had disintegrated: no reinforcement around dumps, etc.; improved in newer ones but not on mine). Anyway, given the crazy low price on the Sopras Sub, I figured it was worth the flyer.

At this point, I probably have 25 dives on it. It has done exactly what you expect it to. I've adjusted to its new shape and have been able to get my trim where I expect it to be, even with double-104's.

Like I said in the review, it's my first donut doubles wing. I'd love to know if anyone else out there has been able to compare the Sopras Sub wing to a different donut wing. Does it work like you expected it to?

I know it’s not the wing but I do have their flex LP hose on my octo. Works great.

i have put around 30 dives since i purchased it
built well, parts like the silicone gasket in the valve assembly are identical to most wing so no proprietary small stuff to really worry about. there's things that i wish are different, maybe extra dump valve location (like the dive rite rec wing), compression bungee (like the hog wing) but at, at least 50 dollars cheaper to the almost identically spec- ed DGX wing or half the price of the hog wing, the choice is rather clear for me.

the only thing that changed is the corrugated hose. I found it to be rather short out of the box

Good day folks..

Last year I decided to give this brand a go, so I went over to the LDS that brought them in, and tried a few models on. I bought a compact travel-friendly version - a 30lb. donut, in Kevlar covering (hey, why not) that looks like the Dive Rite Travel EXP with the crosshair webbing, matched to a 'travel' aluminum plate (with cutouts) and deluxe harness with some creature comforts. Good finishing on the plate with no burrs or sharp edges. Had about 50 dives with it and it is fantastic. Build quality is good, and it works fine. Except for the lightweight aluminum waist buckle could be bent or sheared off at the pin (because it is thin!) which I did swapped them out for a sturdy SS one. This set served as my recreational set in warm water dives, and in fact, my display pic is shown wearing the set.

With my tax returns I got a set of their first and second stage, an octo, and a tec brass n' glass 1.5" black faced gauge. This set is configured in the 'standard' rec configuration - for use when I am teaching. The second stage looks exactly like the HOG and UTD in general construction and build, albeit with different face and logo. Probably from the same OEM, but assembled & tuned in Prague.The first stage is a balanced diaphragm, with environmental seal/cold kit on and generally, Sopras Tek 1st stages look like the HOG D1 & D2. Again, probably from the same OEM, but was finished in Prague - a slip with the lab test result on breathing efficiency tests were included. Had about 20 dives with the regs, and they're good. Breathes good and smooth, only minimal wet breathing when I tested it in inverted position. The second stage face could be screwed open without any tool, and Sopras Tek included service kits with the reg.

This year, I have plans to take up tec certification so I ordered a full aluminum plate (or maybe an SS plate too), DIR harness, and a 50 lb. doubles donut from Sopras Tek. I am also going to get two more 1st stages from them - the version with swiveling turret for backmount doubles and long hose for my tec course. I probably will get another 2nd stage for the bungeed safe second, and use the 'recreational' set 1st stage and octo as for the stage. I was informed by the LDS that Sopras Tek will provide service kits with every reg they sell, for quick and dirty fixes. Additionally, the LDS offers 5-year free servicing, so considering I will be sending in 3 sets of regs at one time this is very lucrative for me.

In summary, Sopras Tek offers good quality equipment at good price, and with the service kits and free servicing I will get good value for my money. It is not 'up there' like a Halcyon but it is very comparable to HOG or DSS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom