Sony RX100V strobe recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aviator8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking to add two strobes to my kit. I already have a 10K lumen video light but for stills want a two strobe setup. I have the tray and arms. I would like to be able to get second hand strobes that I am not going to outgrow after a few trips. Can anyone recommend a couple decent options that are somwhat powerful, will work well with my camera and a fantasea housing for it that leave me the ability to carry it over to new caneras and housing in the future?

Sea and Sea YS-D1, if you can find them used. Saw the new D2 and decided it wasn't worth the extra cost. I love mine with 120° diffusers. Very rugged. Easy to adjust. Single shortfall: no TTL, if it matters.

Sony RX-100 II w/Nauticam

If you are sticking with 1" sensor compacts, the smaller flashes like the INON S-2000 or the YS-01 are plenty powerful enough as you don't need to stop way down on those cameras for depth of field You can get two new S-2000 for around the price of one new Z-330/YS-2J. If you are thinking eventually going to APS-C or full frame then something like a pair of Z-240 second hand is hard to beat. S&S probably avoid the YS-D2 (Chinese made strobe) as they have a poor reputation YS-D2J may be better?? see this post: Sea & Sea YS-D2 flash tube broken, common problem? - Lights, Strobes, and Lighting Technique

Possible I could step up to mirrorless. I have a GX85 but have never found a deal on a housing this why I am shooting RX100V. I just got one here from @okiediver1961 ,thanks btw. I do not see myself doing full on DLSR. I did that for years on land and have been scaling down, don't want to add all that bulk to travel and diving.

I use Z-240's on my setup (EM-1 MkII) shooting f8 mostly in wide angle and the Z-240 strobes cope fine. the S-2000 is guide no 20 vs guide no 24 on the Z-240 which is maybe 1/2 stop less on the guide number so I expect it would work. The bonus is of course you could probably buy them new with the asking price in the US of about $360 each.

If you are sticking with 1" sensor compacts, the smaller flashes like the INON S-2000 or the YS-01 are plenty powerful enough as you don't need to stop way down on those cameras for depth of field You can get two new S-2000 for around the price of one new Z-330/YS-2J. If you are thinking eventually going to APS-C or full frame then something like a pair of Z-240 second hand is hard to beat. S&S probably avoid the YS-D2 (Chinese made strobe) as they have a poor reputation YS-D2J may be better?? see this post: Sea & Sea YS-D2 flash tube broken, common problem? - Lights, Strobes, and Lighting Technique
well that's enough to make you shy away from S&S.

What depressing reading! Here's to hoping my D1's keep working for awhile longer. They sure have been a pleasure to use thus far.
Sounds like the Inon Z330 will be my next. Interesting that Backscatter still features the D2J with this history. I'll chat with them next trip down to Monterey.

I think it's the D2's rather than the D1s that give the problems. Apparently the D2J's are better, they reverted back to making them in Japan after theissue with the Chinese made D2's

One reason they are featured maybe the limited availability of the Z-330 so far.

they reverted back to making them in Japan after theissue with the Chinese made D2's
I'm SO surprised! (Not)

Just had a similar issue with a too-good-to-be-true set of U/W lights. Never again. I don't care if they ARE disposable.

I have sonyrx100M5
I use seafrogs housing for sony RX100 I-V
I use seafrogs strobes ST-100 pro

I have 2 issues

1 in manual mode I can't change the shutter speed because the control wheel is not accessible from the housing, only the aperture I can adjust and the ISO

2 the strobes setting when I shoot in STTL the picture is white even when the exposure is -0+ and as per the setting recommended from the site

what did I do wrong

thanks

Back
Top Bottom