Sony RX1 - full-frame sensor in compact body

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wonder how much this will set us back if it comes to market...

Sony rumors say the 35mm lens is fixed, not interchangable and the price is $2799.00 with an LCD no EVF included. Will see how well they got it on Wednesday when the announcement is reported to occur.

Phil Rudin

Just read about this camera today. While 35mm fixed lens is not ideal for underwater photography, it does have a macro mode. I was wondering if it was possible to add WA wet lens with full frame sensor? It would be cool to be able to take full frame sensor camera underwater and have the ability to to go from macro to wide angle. Moot point though since there doesnt seem to be underwater housing for this camera.

Jon

The lack of zoom means lack of real macro that means nobody will do a housing

I don't understand who would be interested in spending 3000 on a compact camera with no zoom

I used to get wonderful macro photos with a prime (non-zoom) 50mm lens. Canon makes about a half dozen prime lenses, two of which are "L" lenses (professional photography grade).

"Zoom" has nothing to do with macro, and in fact, limits the aperture. It's one of the least important elements to an underwater camera system in my layman's opinion. Now, if we're talking about taking photos of football players, or racecars on the track, then zoom is a bit more important :wink:.

I'd prefer a fast prime with good glass to a slower zoom, or a zoom with mediocre glass any day of the week, but I'll agree that 3k for a single-lens is a little steep.

Yes its an expensive camera. It is shocking how much professional grade photo gear costs. But the sensor size and image quality is almost the same as Nikon D800 and is about one third the size! I was just wondering if it was even feasible to be able to use wet lens with a full frame sensor? Just thought it might be an interesting idea to explore.

I used to get wonderful macro photos with a prime (non-zoom) 50mm lens. Canon makes about a half dozen prime lenses, two of which are "L" lenses (professional photography grade).

"Zoom" has nothing to do with macro, and in fact, limits the aperture. It's one of the least important elements to an underwater camera system in my layman's opinion. Now, if we're talking about taking photos of football players, or racecars on the track, then zoom is a bit more important :wink:.

I'd prefer a fast prime with good glass to a slower zoom, or a zoom with mediocre glass any day of the week, but I'll agree that 3k for a single-lens is a little steep.
I think you make confusion between SLR camera with changeable lens and compact cameras with fixed lens. In a compact camera only zooming allows for magnification with a close up lens and the reproduction ratio is nowhere near what a full or cropped sensor SLR can offer. The RX-1 has a 35mm lens with a close up lens you would end up crashing into the subject pretty quickly assuming it can actually focus at few cm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom