Sony MPK-P5 housing for DSC-P5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I have seen several posts for this housing and my overall impression is that most people are happy with it. Since they are discontinued does anyone know where to get one or have one they are interested in selling? Thanks.

Do a search on ebay.com there are several for sale right now. I have one and have been using it for two years and am very happy with the case and the camera.

I should say mine just flooded this past Sunday, fortunately it was in fresh water and after a lot of work and effort the camera was saved. I still do not know the cause of the flood.

Can I ask how long you have had the case and any problems before? I'm glad you save the camera because I have heard several stories about even a little moisture ruining the camera. Let me know if you figure out the cause. Also, could you answer one other thing? Is there a problem with going from an airconditioned room to a warm humid outside? Does the inside of the case fog up badly? Thanks.

My buddy's MPK5 flooded at the Solomon Islands last December - she had it for about a year (about 50+ dives). Reason unknown. One teaspoon of salt water and the camera was history. I can say that she is very meticulous with her camera preparation. Symptom before that dive was excessive fogging on the surface.
Having said that I know someone who has it attached to his BCD. I've seen him drop it on the wharf and drag it through sand while moving the BCD and no problems.
Is there a problem with going from an airconditioned room to a warm humid outside? Does the inside of the case fog up badly?
No, the opposite. If you prepare the camera and housing in an air conditioned room it is less likely to fog because the conditioned air trapped in housing is dry(er).

My case has about 80 dives and I to am meticulous about sealing it and do quite an inspection on the o-ring before sealing. The post dive inspection did not reveal any problems either. I also use and abuse the case pretty badly, it has many scratches and dents, but that is what it's for.

My plan right now is to take the case diving without the camera to see where's it's leaking. My hope is it's from the o-ring. If it's leaking from one of the buttons, there's not much I can do to fix that.

On the subject of O-rings, I have a p10 and MPK-PHA. I lost the spare o ring that came with the camera, where can I get another one. I'm worried sony will make getting one a huge pain

Sean no idea on the o-ring other than being ripped off by Sony.

Well I took it diving yesterday, no leaks. Whatever caused the original leak is either not present or fixed. Maybe a hair across the o-ring, we may never know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom