Sony Housing O-Rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SecondCoussens

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anyone know where I can get replacement O-Rings for my sony digital camera housing? The camera is a DSC-T1. Not finding much online and living in Hawaii sometimes limits store options. I would rather buy at a store if I can since shipping out here from any place is crazy expensive. Thanks, Sara

I'm a little confused. Sara I have a three year old Sony housing with +100 dives on it and I am still using the original 0-ring much less the extra that came with the housing. Why do you think you need a new one?

The O-Ring is cracked, and I don't know why. I have only taken it on 15 dives or so and clean it out after. As for the replacement one that came with the housing... I dont know where it is. I moved from Michigan to Hawaii and I think it's still somewhere at my parent's house in Michigan, but I know I'm never going to get anyone there to search for me. Anyway I got a hold of Sony and its $25.27 for a new O-Ring. Pretty damn expensive for such a small part. So if anyone knows where I can get one else where for cheaper I'd appreciate it.

1. Mid-Atlantic Rubber Co. - Baltimore, MD (Serving Hawaii) - Contact
Distributor, Manufacturer, Custom Manufacturer, Manufacturers' Rep, Service Company
Company Profile: Grommets, Bumpers, Caps, Suction Cups, Tips, Bushings, Washers, Stoppers, Mounts, UH Channels, Strips, O-Rings...

Mid-Atlantic Rubber Co.
Phone: 410-644-1620 | Fax: 410-644-4837 | Toll Free: 800-466-1620

Find their dealer in Hawaii, you will need the oring to bring them to match. Parker O-rings is another maker. You can buy the orings online if you know the size, unless you are placing a large order, you are better off buy one or two in Hawaii. Should be about $2.00 a piece.

mohneys1:
The O-Ring is cracked, and I don't know why. I have only taken it on 15 dives or so and clean it out after. As for the replacement one that came with the housing... I dont know where it is. I moved from Michigan to Hawaii and I think it's still somewhere at my parent's house in Michigan, but I know I'm never going to get anyone there to search for me. Anyway I got a hold of Sony and its $25.27 for a new O-Ring. Pretty damn expensive for such a small part. So if anyone knows where I can get one else where for cheaper I'd appreciate it.
O-rings are sized using what's called an AS568A dash number. The critical measurements are size, thickness and tolerance. Also the material it's made of is important for u/w use. Chances are good that if it's a black o-ring it's probably made of Buna-N or Viton. Buna-N is fine for saltwater use. More than you probably ever wanted to know about o-rings is at www.allorings.com.

If you can get Sony to tell you this number, any good Hydraulic/Pneumatic Industrial supplier on Oahu will have them.

You can have them match it for you, anyone with a micrometer can get pretty close. However there is a tolerance in every o-ring manufactured, so if you do match it up, buy the next couple of thicknesses smaller/bigger to be sure you have the right one and dive without the camera in the housing to test it first. Especially as yours may have been compressed during use so any measurement may be slightly off.

I buy o-rings for my video housing for .35 ea, .60 for the bigger ones. So $25 does seem excessive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom