Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

C_R_111

New
Reaction score
Hello! :)

I am currently wanting to invest in an underwater videography setup and I hoped if anyone here could help me please.

For the camera I'm looking at a Sony a7sIII but I'm a bit worried about the price. I am looking for something that shoots 60fps or higher at 4k as my operating needs some stabilisation during edit still, unless the camera has a good built-in stabilisation already.
So far I've used a Seafrogs housing with a Sony a7sII from a colleague (without tray or handles) so it got a bit wobbly and needed stabilisation in edit which cropped the material.

Going off the Sony a7sII/a7III I found the following:
From Isotta, which with housing, dome, tray, arms and clamps would come to 3.364€.
From Ikelite it would be 2.054,91€
From Seafrogs it would be only $1,450

My questions are:
- Are there any other brands for housing and rigs you would recommend that are below Isotta's pricepoint?
- Would you recommend getting the Sony a7sIII or is there another camera out there that would fulfill the need for 4k in slow-motion or slow-motion with good in-camera stabilisation?
- What lights are at a price-point that won't break the bank but still light nicely?
- Is Seafrog a brand I can trust without worries despite the low pricepoint?

The purpose is for commercial, short films, and some documentary material. I'd like to be able to film people as well as subjects such as coral reefs.
This means I would be in a pool a lot of times, but for things like mountain lakes and the sea I would like to be able to light some parts of it, hence why I like the low-light quality of the a7sIII.
I am also located in Italy.

Thank you so much for your time, and any advice given!

Kudos to your friend to let you use his camera with a Seafrog housing…..

I shoot Sony (A6000 diving and A7R3 above the surface) so I am maybe a little biased toward them.

Having said that, a lower cost option than an A7S3 might be to go with one of the Panasonic options. The Panasonic GH5 and GH5s are very highly rated and have a wide variety of housing options. I know that you did not ask about Panasonic, but since you indicate that you are still looking at cameras, these may be worth taking at least a cursory look at. Keep in mind that one of the huge differences between an A7S3 and a GH5/GH5s will be sensor size.

With a wider variety of housings available for the GH5/GH5s, there is also an increase in the number of lenses that are supported with ports and that can be a huge advantage.

EDITED TO ADD: If the age of the GH5 is a concern, I just saw that Panasonic has just released a GH5ii that is still on pre-order with an Aquatica housing showing as "Coming Soon" on some websites.

I am not saying that you should buy a GH5/GH5s or even a GH5ii. I am merely saying that you might want to take a very close look at it before you rule it out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom