Sony 28/2 prime vs 28-60mm zoom on WWL-1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interceptor121

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Thanks Massimo. Very helpful analysis. I'll just stick with the 28-60 and keep things simple.

- brett

Thanks Massimo. Very helpful analysis. I'll just stick with the 28-60 and keep things simple.

- brett
It makes sense for A7RIV and V and A1 users that want the absolute best image quality for photos
For cameras with less resolution or video I doubt you will see the difference. I have scaled down the files to 24 megapixels and you can not really tell them apart much
I am pretty OCD so I am glad I went on this path but many will do as you said

It makes sense for A7RIV and V and A1 users that want the absolute best image quality for photos
For cameras with less resolution or video I doubt you will see the difference. I have scaled down the files to 24 megapixels and you can not really tell them apart much
I am pretty OCD so I am glad I went on this path but many will do as you said

I have the rIV but 95% of my photos are wreck wide angle or photogrammetry (where it doesn't matter) and I don't think I'm a good enough shooter to capture the difference.

- brett

I have the rIV but 95% of my photos are wreck wide angle or photogrammetry (where it doesn't matter) and I don't think I'm a good enough shooter to capture the difference.

- brett
I would recommend a rectilinear lens like the tamron 17-28. Contrary to the current narrative this lens is way sharper than any water contact optics and preserves dimensions correctly

I would recommend a rectilinear lens like the tamron 17-28. Contrary to the current narrative this lens is way sharper than any water contact optics and preserves dimensions correctly

I have been looking for quite a while for a rectilinear solution but they have all involved large, expensive, glass domes that I don't want to travel with. I also have the a6400 that I use with the 10-18 but only when I'm at home diving and not traveling.

I remember when you posted about the 17-28 on Wetpixel. Which dome & port did you use it with?

The Nauticam port chart say the 180mm glass dome is the preferred.

- brett

Now I remember the "problem" : the 180mm glass port is only rated to 60m and that is definitely a show-stopper for me. I queried Nauticam directly and they were looking into why it was rated to 60m and not 100m but I haven't heard back yet.

I guess I could potentially use the 8.5" acrylic dome which is rated to 150m but that is going to be (I think) significantly bigger.

- brett

I have been looking for quite a while for a rectilinear solution but they have all involved large, expensive, glass domes that I don't want to travel with. I also have the a6400 that I use with the 10-18 but only when I'm at home diving and not traveling.

I remember when you posted about the 17-28 on Wetpixel. Which dome & port did you use it with?

The Nauticam port chart say the 180mm glass dome is the preferred.

- brett
I use the 180mm dome myself would not commit to anything larger
There are tests on my website use the sticky post on the top and navigate to rectilinear
Or do a search

Now I remember the "problem" : the 180mm glass port is only rated to 60m and that is definitely a show-stopper for me. I queried Nauticam directly and they were looking into why it was rated to 60m and not 100m but I haven't heard back yet.

I guess I could potentially use the 8.5" acrylic dome which is rated to 150m but that is going to be (I think) significantly bigger.

- brett
I would not recommend the acrylic port. The radius is smaller

I think the wide angle port can be built with a deep rating and reinforcement but this does not look like it has it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom