Songkhla

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right, that was Lee Garden in Hat Yai.

And, as I recall, many foreign governments include Songkhla Province in their 'do not visit' lists.

Seems disarmingly peaceful here now.

---------- Post added May 22nd, 2012 at 07:22 AM ----------

Maybe they're trying to boost tourism. The culture ministry has a slogan posted all over town:

แหลงใต้ ไหว้สวย - Southern Thai has a beautiful wai (greeting).

Well, there's the thing about the thousands killed in the past few years on the Southern provinces "insurgency", I suppose Songkhla is too close for comfort for the average tourist.
Just a few weeks ago a car bomb was detonated in the parking of a popular hotel in Yala.

Yes, and indeed the UK Foreign Office advises against all but essential travel to these areas, and has done so for a number of years. That alone would be sufficient to put off a large number of potential tourists, couple that with the fact that most travel insurance policies will be void should such warnings be ignored, and travel companies operating in the UK are unable to promote destinations that attract such warnings. I think there is the answer. I am unsure what warnings other countries have in place for their citizens, but dare say this will not only apply to the UK.

Having said that, it is a place on my list of 'must visit' locations.

We're very glad we visited. Probably wouldn't have bothered had my wife not had work there. We had a marvelous few days.

We're very glad we visited. Probably wouldn't have bothered had my wife not had work there. We had a marvelous few days.

Yes, your pic's look great. I think I will be heading that way later this year for a look around.

The beach is stunning and runs directly in front of and all along the city, apart from that, it's a very pleasant, relaxed and laid back city with a small town feel.

Not in Yala, in Hat Yai!

Slaps forehead...

Yes, Hat Yai! It's about 30 km from Songkhla, so as I said too close for comfort for most people.

I just remembered that some dive operators go to Koh Losin, close to Songkhla, I've heard it is very good.

I'm doing a live aboard at Koh Losin in July. (Yes, back to Songkhla!)

More on that after the trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom