Something old, something new... def something blue!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Melisande Leduc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone,

I'm new-ish to the forum. I missed this part when I became a member, so here I am.

I'm a diver from Montreal, Quebec. I got certified up in Tobermore, Ontario... hmmm 10-12 years ago? The water was cold, I thought I was having a panic attack the water was so cold. Living in Canada, I don't go diving as much as I'd like, but I've dived in Sicily, Tanzania, Cozumel (twice), Bali, Gili, Roatan (several times).

I like long slow dives where I have the luxury of spending 10-15 minutes looking for little critters hiding. I go nuts when I see a swimming moray. I know they're nothing extraordinary, but I find them so graceful. Like a green silk scarf, drifting in the water.

I'll likely be celebrating my 150th dive on board the MV Ambai in Raja Ampat in a couple months. To say I'm excited would be an understatement. I've dreamed about doing a liveaboard in Raja Ampat for almost 8 years now. Every year, I would look at dates, and the various ships... and then look at flights... but I always chickened out. Well, not this year!

This forum is such a wealth of excellent information and advice, it's dizzying. I would to thank you everyone who - knowingly or not - helped me piece this trip together. I'm not done yet - I have to decide what I will do during my 3-days in Manada, but I already have a ton of ideas.

Hey, just in case: I'll be in Manado from November 20 to 23rd. If you're in the area, drop me a line if you'd like to meet up. Would be nice to have a fellow diver to share stuff with, even if it's just a beer.

Howdy from Texas, Melisande! Welcome to ScubaBoard! I can't wait to hear about Raja Ampat after you get back!

When you are in Manado go out to Mount Tangkoko and trek to see the Yaki (Crested Macaques) and Indonesian Tarsiers in the wild and check out Tomohon the flower city and the Minehassan culture - depending on where you're staying you may also be able to squeeze a dive in . Have fun :)

Welcome to the boards! I'm so glad to hear that you are finally getting to go on this trip you have dreamed about. I can't wait to hear about your thoughts on the MV Ambai as I am returning to Raja Ampat and have decided to sail with them in April. :)

When you are in Manado go out to Mount Tangkoko and trek to see the Yaki (Crested Macaques) and Indonesian Tarsiers in the wild and check out Tomohon the flower city and the Minehassan culture - depending on where you're staying you may also be able to squeeze a dive in . Have fun :)

I have to choose between going to Tangkoko and diving... I don't think I am in Manado long enough (November 20, 21 and 22) to do both. I land late at night on the 19th and fly out super early on the 23rd.

I have been in touch with Nomad Divers, and I could spend my entire time on Bangka.

OR

I stay in Manado, do Tangkoko and maybe Minehassan culture, maybe the Tunan waterfall... And maybe a few dives in Bunaken with a mainland outfit.

I CAN'T DECIDE!!! I WANT TO DO IT ALL!

I have to choose between going to Tangkoko and diving... I don't think I am in Manado long enough (November 20, 21 and 22) to do both. I land late at night on the 19th and fly out super early on the 23rd.

I have been in touch with Nomad Divers, and I could spend my entire time on Bangka.

OR

I stay in Manado, do Tangkoko and maybe Minehassan culture, maybe the Tunan waterfall... And maybe a few dives in Bunaken with a mainland outfit.

I CAN'T DECIDE!!! I WANT TO DO IT ALL!

Renny's Tangkoko safety stop can make it happen in 3 days. 1 day dives in Lembeh, then Tangkoko, tomohon/waterfall / volcano, but no bangka.

Renny's Tangkoko safety stop can make it happen in 3 days. 1 day dives in Lembeh, then Tangkoko, tomohon/waterfall / volcano, but no bangka.

Sad to miss Bangka but you are going to Raja Ampat, so it's OK! One day dives at Lembeh will give you a nice taste of what can be seen there since you like the curious looking creatures! It's an excellent situation for getting used to being back in the water too because not in the least challenging.

@Melisande Leduc, you say you love the water and that the rest of your family are very good swimmers. Because of this, like an earlier post said, I suggest that you take swimming lessons between now and your trip.

I am a bit confused as to whether or not everyone in your family is a certified diver except you or if all of you want to do a discover scuba dive?

Either way, even though many are saying that the dive should be at Cayman, I again agree with another post from above. Your family will really enjoy the sting ray alley experience. You yourself, will enjoy it more if you have taken the swimming lessons, even though wearing a snorkel vest.

I don't know what the access to a good swimming pool and dive shop is like around your place but my first discover dive was in a swimming pool. Some people discover in the pool that diving may not be for them. Just a thought.

@Melisande Leduc, you say you love the water and that the rest of your family are very good swimmers. Because of this, like an earlier post said, I suggest that you take swimming lessons between now and your trip.

I am a bit confused as to whether or not everyone in your family is a certified diver except you or if all of you want to do a discover scuba dive?

Either way, even though many are saying that the dive should be at Cayman, I again agree with another post from above. Your family will really enjoy the sting ray alley experience. You yourself, will enjoy it more if you have taken the swimming lessons, even though wearing a snorkel vest.

I don't know what the access to a good swimming pool and dive shop is like around your place but my first discover dive was in a swimming pool. Some people discover in the pool that diving may not be for them. Just a thought.

I think you meant to reply to someone else here. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom