Some type of Pipefish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

supergaijin

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Ciao- I found this in the lagoon today, and am undecided on what type of pipefish it may be... Perhaps it's wishful thinking but I'm hoping it's a 'Pygmy Pipefish' however... it may just be a juvenile of the 'Stick Pipefish' (Trachyrhamphus bicoarctatus) which is not uncommon in Maldivian lagoons. It wrapped its tail around some sea grass in a way that I have not observed from other pipefishes in the Maldives.

Any help would be much appreciated

Apologies for the poor quality but this thing was tiny and I have no macro lense.
20131008-IMG_4477.jpg
Depth: 6m
Time: 4pm
Size: approx 1 inch.

For reference this is the 'Stick Pipefish' that I was referring to which is normally 12 inches or longer.

20120616-2012-06-16_Seagrass_Pipefish5.jpg

I agree that it looks different than the 'Stick'. Just trying to get some people with more knowledge of these guys to weigh in.

Thanks for yours...

Definitely looks like a pipehorse. There are several species in the Indian Ocean. I remember seeing several of them at Hani Faaru in Baa Atoll so obviously around in the Maldives.

Also agree with the pipehorse ID. Pipefish don't usually wrap their tail around stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom