some specific tips for a newbie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

canuckdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys, just need some advice on getting started here, and with me moving to grand cayman, looks like perfect timing!

I now have a 2.1MP camera in an Ikelite housing (just a no-name in an old aquashot3) And was wondering if anybody had any starting advice for how far I should be from my subjects, how much should I up the exposure to use ambient light, the simple stupid stuff!
Thanks all!

Here's a few basics.....

Get close. When you think you are close enough, get even closer! A general rule of thumb.... if you can touch it, you can shoot it.

Unless you have an add-on wide angle lens, reef shots will not show a specific subject. Everything will be too far away to be considered the subject.

Your subject should cover most of the screen.

Never shoot down on your subject, it makes the picture look flat. Try to get on your subjects level if at all possible.

When shooting up towards the surface, especially if trying a silhouette shot, try to avoid the sun. Even with the best cameras it causes a blow out. Try to place your subject between your camera and the sun.

If you use a strobe, remember it isn't going to be effective beyond 3-4 ft at the most.

Great! Thanks Dee!

I know this is going to sound like a dumb question, but in your experience, is the stock lens setup in an "instant" camera like this one good enough to soot in the 3' range? Or should I try a macro lens on the outside of the housing?

canuckdiver:
I know this is going to sound like a dumb question, but in your experience, is the stock lens setup in an "instant" camera like this one good enough to soot in the 3' range? Or should I try a macro lens on the outside of the housing?

Usually but it depends on several things. Some brands use really crappy quality lenses. It also depends on the lens' focal distance. Are you talking about macro shots? You don't mention what brand your camera is. I may be wrong but let's ***-u-me your focal distance is 8", which is sort of normal. With my Oly, I use the macro setting for anything from 8" to 36". If you want to get closer than 8", you may need a macro or close-up lens. Be sure to check the focal length of both. I don't use a macro lens, just the macro setting on my camera. I get as close as I can, and may zoom in just a little but not always.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom