Some sort of anemone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This is my first time trying this, so bear with me. Up for your consideration is what looks like an anemone hanging under a shelf of coral in Cozumel. I don't remember the depth or exactly where I saw it, unfortunately. Now, I have seen a lot of anemones, but this is the first time I have seen anything like this. I can't find anything even close in in my trusty REEF CREATURE book (Humann/Deloach), so I thought I would turn to you guys. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_1785.jpg
    IMG_1785.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1786.jpg
    IMG_1786.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 59
It's a Condylactis anemone that has partially retracted most of its tentacles. They do this for a variety of reasons: being touched or disturbed, to rid themselves of particulate matter like sand, etc. These are very common anemones, mostly found in shallw water because they require sunlight. Their bodies contain algae which produces food through photosynthesis.

I have seen an awful lot of condylactis anemones, but I have never seen one with that fleshy collar around it. Anybody else ever see something like this?

It's a Condylactis anemones that has partially retracted most of its tentacles. They do this for a variety of reasons: being touched or disturbed, to rid themselves of particulate matter like sand, etc. These are very common anemones, mostly found in shallw water because they require sunlight. Their bodies contain algae which produces food through photosynthesis.

I use to have a couple of Condylactis anemone in my saltwater aquarium. That fleshy collar around it you're referring to is actually the stalk or main body so to speak. As agilis stated it is simply partially retracted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom