Some shots from cuba last week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dang canadians... us ugly americans have to be sneaky to get into Cuba. After 9/11 it's even worse. Maybe there's some other commie nation I can visit without being arrested by Homeland Security.

Nice photos wetman. Any truth to the rumor that diving in Cuba is not so good as the reefs are pretty much wiped out?

Beautiful pictures, I'm jealous! Happy diving!

Gilligan:
Nice photos wetman. Any truth to the rumor that diving in Cuba is not so good as the reefs are pretty much wiped out?

Well, i can only really compare to Cozumel. There is far more life in coz of all varieties that i remember. Definitely some bigger fish, eels etc. Based on memory alone, i think the reefs had slightly more color to them in coz as well.

Having really only done shore dives in two locations though, i dont think it would be fair to paint the whole island with the same brush. We spent some time at a little reef just outside Varadero and about 3 days in the Bay of Pigs. In both places, shore dives get you to nice reefs. Bay of Pigs shore dives get you to reefs and a deep wall. Several coral swim throughs and cenotes can be found as well that seem pretty untouched in both locations.

I want to hit Cuba once more - there is apparently some excellent shark diving in certain locations if you time it right. But after that, i think i'll be done with it for a while.

Steve

Wetman,

Wonderfull pics. Looks like you had a great time. Some of the pics of the city look like a cross between Puerto Rico and Paris. The shots of the grottos and caverns are really pretty and spooky. Great fun. Maybe we US'ers will get a chance to visit Cuba someday soon.

Thanks for sharing.

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
:cool1:

Gilligan:
Any truth to the rumor that diving in Cuba is not so good as the reefs are pretty much wiped out?

My super-smart professor once directly compared Cozumel reefs with those of Cuba (I asked). She snuck in a few years back as a "scientific researcher" and dove off a thirdhand liveaboard that only went out when the charter supplied the gas. Anyways, she said that Cuba had the most pristine reefs she'd ever seen in the Caribbean. Makes you wonder what the Cubans are doing right, or not doing wrong.

Wetman, I love your gallery. You have an eye for fish spontaneity, and a healthy admiration for Condylactis anemones. Kudos!

Great pictures, what type of camera set-up do you use. I'm in the market so I'm curious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom