Some serious treasure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its interesting how they decide the value of the treasure. For example, they say there's 17 tons of silver on the ship (they dont say how much gold) which has a value of less than $8million (silver is about $13/ounce). 17 tons of pure gold ($670/ounce) is less than $400million.

I think we're going to see this mostly being a marketing adventure - maybe we'll have an IMAX movie where they sell the coins in the lobby. They'll need to hype the discovery up so they can unload that many coins at such a high price. After all, how else are you going to sell these coins for that much? Maybe we'll see a "product placement" in 'Pirates of the Caribbean 5'!

Most of them will be in pretty bad shape. Anyone know what the "normal" value of coins from this era is?

plunge:
Its interesting how they decide the value of the treasure. For example, they say there's 17 tons of silver on the ship (they dont say how much gold) which has a value of less than $8million (silver is about $13/ounce). 17 tons of pure gold ($670/ounce) is less than $400million.

I think we're going to see this mostly being a marketing adventure - maybe we'll have an IMAX movie where they sell the coins in the lobby. They'll need to hype the discovery up so they can unload that many coins at such a high price. After all, how else are you going to sell these coins for that much? Maybe we'll see a "product placement" in 'Pirates of the Caribbean 5'!

Most of them will be in pretty bad shape. Anyone know what the "normal" value of coins from this era is?

They will sell at a historical value, higher than gold or silver prices. Nothing new in that in the numismatic world. It was reported that they were in very good condition.

I guess the best way to evaluate them is to compare them to pieces currently being offered for sale and then deducting some arbitrary percentage..say...20%...just to be conservative.
http://www.melfisher.com/TreasureSales/store/Scripts/default.asp
That is Mel Fisher's family's store.
Then we have Odyssey's online store:
http://shipwreckstore.com/e/index.php?cPath=74&osCsid=ece4f1b7443093880659183203e3467f
Looks like a lot of money to me.
I am very pleased for Odyssey. They've been working hard at this for a good while, and invested in enough technology and expertise to make it work.
Not surprisingly, their announcement came right before their stockholders meeting on May 18. That's got to make the accounts look better.

Okay, looks like i was greatly underestimating the value of the coins! My original thoughts were based on ebay prices for "roman" coins - which I seem to remember being less than $100. Probably a bad comparison!

More power to the finders (for every ship found, i'm sure there's 10 crews that go bankrupt trying). I'm sure they worked very very hard for their reward!

I am actually looking forward to seeing how they are going to market them - it should be, at the very least, entertaining. There's more than enough money involved to try to make the story "mythical" in the public's mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom