Some quick questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Machiavelli

Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to budget together an underwater system. Right now, I have a D70 with a Sigma 28-80mm lens.

I'm thinking that I'll buy the Fantasea housing, which has lense port+insurance.
Anybody have experience with this system? While Ikelite is comparable in price, I'd have to buy the lens port and insurance seperate.

I'm not sure what I need to do about lighting. I dont know the difference between a strobe and a flash. Fantasea offers housing for the Nikon Speedlight SB-800. Would this be good?

First off, make sure the Sigma lens (if that is the one that you plan on using) is supported by one the 2 housing manufactures that you list. It does not appear the Fantasea supports it.

The SB800 would work for macro, but if you get more than 1' - 1 .5' feet away....forget about it.

Ikelite is releasing their housing with TTL late this month or early next (TTL only with their strobes). Pick up one of those with an Ikelite DS-125 strobe and you will have quite a system to grow into.

I would only recommend Ikelite Ds-125, Sea & Sea YS-90DX, Inon Z220 or better with a D70.

HTH,
Dave

My chief concern is that I'm having trouble justifying the high cost of an underwater system when I will only be using once or twice a year.

What I chiefly want to do is take clear pictures of what I'll be encountering underwater. Is there, perhaps, a cheaper alternative to taking my D70 underwater? Any solid P&S systems?

Yup, head to the Oly X0X0 systems (I use the 5050, calypsonick just moved to the 8080) or to something like the Canon A series (the new one is the 95...I still have the 75).

Inexpensive, small, adaptable, good quality, manual control, accept add-on lenses and strobes. Love my Canons. As you only dive a couple of times a year, I would go to the Canon (other manufacturer's make offerings, too).

I am not familar with the CP4400. If I were to buy a P&S today, it would be the Fuji 810. Both ikelite & fuji make housings for it. Add a Inon D2000 strobe and you have a small yet capable system.

Dave

It might be easier to invest in a PnS system for your need. A cost of housing/port for your D70 will be more expensive than many good PnS system for sure. DEPP offers pretty reasonable flood insurance policy. Sigma 28-80 (I assume it is the 28-80 F3.5-5.6 macro) is in a no man's land as far as underwater photography is concerned, I think. Not wide enough for decent reefscene and only do 1:2 macro at 80mm (not focus close enough) so most likely you will need to invest in more lenses to really take the advantage of D70 underwater as well. I also don't know if any housing manufacturer actually support that lens.

Ok, so based on your suggestions I've come up with a short list of cameras + housings. Let me know which one you guys think would be best.

5.1MP Olympus 5060 + housing = ~$560
5.0MP Canon A95 + Housing = ~$570
5.1MP Coolpix 5600 + housing = ~$575
4.0MP Coolpix 4300 + housing = ~$310
Finally
3.3MP Reefmaster w/SeaLife External Flash (SL960) = ~$550

Any general comments? Specifically I'd like to know if that flash that the reefmaster comes with is worth the significant drop in MP.
Alternatively, comparing the two coolpix, is a difference of 1MP particularly noticeable? The price difference sure is.

Machiavelli:
Ok, so based on your suggestions I've come up with a short list of cameras + housings. Let me know which one you guys think would be best.

5.1MP Olympus 5060 + housing = ~$560
5.0MP Canon A95 + Housing = ~$570
5.1MP Coolpix 5600 + housing = ~$575
4.0MP Coolpix 4300 + housing = ~$310
Finally
3.3MP Reefmaster w/SeaLife External Flash (SL960) = ~$550

Any general comments? Specifically I'd like to know if that flash that the reefmaster comes with is worth the significant drop in MP.
Alternatively, comparing the two coolpix, is a difference of 1MP particularly noticeable? The price difference sure is.
Your prices are pretty high! For example, the A95 + Housing combo at Beach Camera comes to $440 including shipping.

Well, I was basing my prices on Ebay. But thats good info to have. I'll check out that site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom