some questions on doing a divemaster internship in phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitro91

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have just come back from a week long holiday in phuket, doing 13 dives with sea bees, and discovering a vastly different country to home i didnt want to leave.
I am only 21 years old and working full time, i feel like i would be missing out in life if i were to stick to being in australia doing the same thing in and out.

I have over 100 dives and have dove around great barrier reef (best dives i have ever done), wakatobi and majority in sydney (****house).

Looking now, i see there are many dive shops in phuket alone and i am after a 2-3 month long internship to do a divemaster course, with the possibility of becoming an instructor (who knows :p).
What i want is a place where i can further improve my diving skills to become a professional and at the same time discover a new culture and country to me.
which dive centres around phuket offer the best training to become a dive professional, what is the weekly schedule like, and i know this has been asked 100 fold before but is there any realistic chance at working as a dive professional in phuket after obtaining licenses?

I know being a dive professional will probably not be rich but i believe that having a job that you enjoy day in and out is far more rewarding.

Money is not an issue as i have some investment property from the family and money saved up. I feel i would regret it if i did not take a risk in life and be out of my comfort zone.

I hope i have given some insight into what i am looking for, and any input or opinion would be greatly appreciated.

For longer internships, like you mention 2-3 months, Phi Phi and Koh Tao are much better places than Phuket.

Working on Phuket: as a DM you have no chance, you really need to become an instructor.

If you want to work straight away in SE Asia, it would make sense to do the DM-Instr in the country you're intending on working in. That way, you're prepared to fit in to the 'system'. Be aware that foreign languages play a huge role in being able to secure work on a full-time basis.

It's tricky to get work as a DM in SE Asia as most jobs go to local DM's. It does happen, but.... it would help your chances immensely if you're a 21 year old blonde named Svetlana....

Ultimately you need to become an instructor to get work overseas. And a foreign language (or two) never hurts.

Schedule depends a lot on the shop. 3 month courses are usually aimed at the 'zero to hero' crowd who need to get their 60 dives... or is it 50 now? Duties may start around 7am- 1pm'ish and then 2-6pm'ish. Homework for DM is usually outside of these hours. Hours can vary quite a lot, but it's fairly knackering stuff if you're not fit, or if you hit the piss too often.

Realistically you won't get paid work as a DM in SE Asia. You need to become instructor.

Best of luck- it's a rewarding job, but it's also easy to burn out.

Back
Top Bottom