Some of my Philippines stuff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beautiful set Gary.

Great images Gary.

Where in the Philipines did you go? I am now seriously considering a trip there in Oct.

Thanks guys,

Caloy - lucky you. All of these were taken in Dauin at El Dorado. Several sites within a couple of minutes of the resort. The house reef right of the beach is pretty cool as well.

Wow Gary those are great...So did you do a trip report???

No trip report yet. It was my first ever trip dedicated to UW photography. I came back with over 2500 images. Unlike the pro who would've thrown away about 2400 of them, I've yet to muster the courage to do anything but throw away the OOF ones. So my digital workflow needs some digital courage in order for me to get through them all. The photoshop guy in me says...hey you can save that one! haha. Anyway, I'll probably get around to it here this year....sometime!

Beautiful set Gary.

Larry,
So when is the best time to dive CA? I see you've been making up for lost time after your shoulder surgery. You seem to be diving a lot this winter. Aren't water temps a little frigid this time a year for a wetsuit guy? Anyway, I don't have any plans to head out to Cali but the one dive I did there off Catalina really sold me on doing this again soon.

The best time to dive Northern California is winter, between storms. The water is actually warmer for the most part and the vis is typically much better.
In the springtime, the offshore wind comes up and blows away the surface. This brings cold upwellings full of nutrients from the Monterey Canyon off Carmel. Sometimes it gets down to the mid 40's, and when the Sun hits all that algae and plant plankton, the water turns green. The plus side is that the Sun also brings the Kelp. There really isn't a season, things just change. We pretty much go down every weekend if it's diveable, then jump in and see. If you don't like the conditions when you get there, wait 5 minutes and they'll change.
SoCal tends to get rough in winter, but most of the Channel Island winter trips are for the hunters. Lobster season is shallow diving in heavy kelp with lots of surge, but photogs often go too and conditions can be surprisingly good sometimes. I always do my Channel Islands trip in early August and water conditions are generally excellent, with warm surface temps, up to 60f the rule.
I used to dive year round in a seven mil wet suit, though I've gone over to the dark side now (with no regrets except the extra weight I have to carry). I didn't get that cold on dives in the wet suit, but in the winter the surface interval on cold windy days can be pretty brutal.

Great macro work, Gary.

I need to get back to the Philippines, but I'm poor again :sad:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom