Some of my lessons learned

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikerault

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Interesting forum here so I thought I would post a few of my learning dives.

Dive 1: Night Dive (1st) in Grand Turk at the Library Site

This was my first night dive. The DM said that turnaround was 1000 psi. We entered the water in about 30 FSW depth from the dive boat no moon, light chop. We went to the sandy bottom then proceeded to the wall (on one side, 30 FSW, the other 3000+ FSW) and proceeded to travel along the wall perpendicular to the boats position. There was no current or surge.

The dive went well right up to the point where I signalled I was at 1000 PSI, the DM signalled OK and that the boat was near...and kept going in the same direction! (away from the boat) I followed along and at 700 PSI signalled him again, only to get the same response! Finally at 500 PSI I signalled I was returning to the boat.

I went back up to the sand and followed the wall at 20-30 fsw until the reg started breathing tough, then surfaced. I was still a good 50 yards from the boat, I couldn't see it but could hear the chop on the side of it. I filled the BCD manually and swam on my back to the boat. 5-10 minutes later the DM and the rest show up.

Lesson learned: You are responsible for your own safety, I should have returned to the boat at 1000 PSI instead of waiting for an ok from the DM.

Dive 2: Lake Lanier, shore dive out to 80 FFW with two buddies, little chop, clear day, 10-15 feet visibility depending on thermocline.

We followed the permanent line out to the bucket at 80 feet then did a turnaround. I was the last one in line and got to close to buddy 2, his fin knocked the regulator out of my mouth and it got stuck back on the tank somewhere (I tried the arm sweep and couldn't get the thing to retrieve) I grab my airII and take a breath (after clearing it) and it is about 30-40% water. I try to slow my breathing but it is still breathing wet. I look around and my "buddies" are no where to be seen. I begin ascending and of course skip the three minute stop, proceeding directly to the surface. On the surface I finally find the primary and put it back in. Submerging I am able to catch up to the other buddies and finish the dive.

When I asked them what happened they said they figured I could handle myself...must be same lake buddies...

Lessons Learned: Validate equipment works before you need it. I added a regular octopus so now have it as well as the airII. Also, don't rely on insta-buddies to do the right thing, especially if you are a competent diver, they may assume you don't need help.

Dive 3: Lake Lanier, 50 FFW, searching and retrieval dive on camera

I was doing a serach and retrieval operation on my lost camera, solo diving. I was doing a square pattern and everytime I came around the far side of the square I would end up getting fouled in a guide rope that someone had apparently cut. Luckily I didn't "birdnest in it" and other than getting frustrated at constantly finding the darn rope instead of my camera, had no serious repurcussions. However, when I stopped later than thought about it I was pretty stupid.

Lessons learned: Don't dive alone, what if I had gotten seriously tangled? I had my line cutter with me, but this was rope, would have been difficult to hack through it with just a line cutter. Bring two cutting devices, one for small stuff and smonething a bit more meaty like a pair of shears. I now carry both. On the next dive there (with a buddy) I traced the line back to its start and cut it, removing it from the water.

Anyway, hope someone learns from my mistakes!

Mike

On your first incident, were you diving as a group of several divers with a DM?

There have been several OOA incidents reported where a diver in such a group kept signalling that they had reached ascent pressure and kept waiting for the DM to accompany them to the surface. Always reach explicit agreement as to what will be the ascent protocol on group dives. And never assume that the DM is your buddy. He's not.

Sounds though as if the DM is not someone you want to dive with again. You may be inexperienced and not sure of protocol but he doesn't have that excuse. He should have taken control and ensured that you and he knew what you were going to do.

Yep, that was my thought as well, I assumed he meant group turn pressure was when anyone reached 1000, I was incorrect. I failed to mention one other diver returned solo before the group having had the same experience with the DM. The DM was from Holland, maybe they do it differently there...

Mike

Yep, that was my thought as well, I assumed he meant group turn pressure was when anyone reached 1000, I was incorrect. I failed to mention one other diver returned solo before the group having had the same experience with the DM. The DM was from Holland, maybe they do it differently there...

Mike
Divers ascending/returning separate from the group is much more common than not in the various warm water places I've gone on guided dives.

Only with a couple of dive ops has the entire group turned and/or ascended upon the first diver reaching turn/ascent pressure. In many cases, the DM requests that divers notify him at some prespecified pressure -- often 1/2 tank -- so that he can be back near the boat by the time the first diver hits the ascent pressure, but in my experience, having the ENTIRE group of 6 or 7 divers ascend when the first diver hits ascent pressure is uncommon.

If you are not comfortable doing a solo ascent, then you should find a buddy before the dive that agrees to stay with you for the entire dive.

As I noted above, other divers have reported related variations of the same problem you posted on, and it is very important that you not make assumptions and just like when diving in a two person buddy group, AGREE UPON BASICS SUCH AS ASCENT PROTOCOL AND LOST BUDDY PROCEDURES, BEFORE THE DIVER.

I agree, but it wasn't made clear in the dive breifing, had it been made clear I would have just turned back when I needed to after signalling the DM.

Mike

... I added a regular octopus so now have it as well as the airII...
Mike

Hi Mike - I'm interested where you learnt that a spare air was an acceptable alternative to an Octo? Is this a common practice with your diving friends? Was this recent or early on in your dive career?

Hi Mike - I'm interested where you learnt that a spare air was an acceptable alternative to an Octo? Is this a common practice with your diving friends? Was this recent or early on in your dive career?

SpareAir != AirII

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom