Some Interesting Reading...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They make some interesting points...

When you really think about it, the major certifing agencies spend a fair amount of time renforcing a paradigm to new divers that if you have a problem your buddy will save you. Not nessecarily the case.

I makes me wonder what it would take to shift the paradigm of the major certifing agencies to "self-sufficiant" diving.

The articles also make me think of my training as an Emergency Medical Tech and firefighter. The one thing that is constantly hit on in training is saftey for yourself 1st then worry about the safety of others 2nd. And under no cercumstances do you put your self at "unreasonable" risk to save somone else. Obviously the definition of what classifies as "unreasonable" can very greatly.

I think also that the primial human instinctual need of self preservation might play a part in this too. I remember a saying: "When it all comes down to you or me, there ain't no you."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom