Some initial impressions on my Nauticam OM-D setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarkHerm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi there,
I just want to share my excitement about my new setup with you. I previously used a P&S camera (a Panasonic Lumix LX3) in auto mode with no strobe and recently upgraded to an Olympus OM-D w/ Nauticam housing and a single Inon S-2000 external strobe. I did my first six dives last week in Egypt with this setup and absolutely love it. I wasn't the best start though as the fisheye lens as well as the 60 macro were not delivered prior to my departure. So I had to use the Olympus 12/2 prime lens behind the fisheye dome exclusively for all dives which is far from being optimal (a macro would have been great). Besides, I decided to go full manual as well on the camera as on the strobe so I had a very steep learning curve. Of couse, the dive were not photo dives per se, so I snapped all pictures on the way without having the chance to spend a lot of time on each subject.
In all, I absolutely love the ergonomics of the Nauticam housing. It's so easy to adjust time and aperture etc.; it's joy to play with all this underwater. The setup is still quite compact and can be clipped out of the way if not in use. I may consider to add a second Inon S-2000 strobe as one strobe can easily create relatively harsh shadows but I think it was a good decision to start with a single a unit.

Here are some impressions of the dives. All pictures are barely cropped (if at all) and only slightly edited in Adobe Lightroom.

Edit: wow, the attached images really loose quality due to the resizing algorithm of the board software. Sorry for that. Next time, I'll use an external hoster.

Attachments

• P0061024.jpg
    P0061024.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 200
  • P0061031.jpg
    P0061031.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 153
  • P0061042.jpg
    P0061042.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 159
  • P0061052.jpg
    P0061052.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 146
  • P0061060.jpg
    P0061060.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 162
  • P0071067.jpg
    P0071067.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 200
  • P0071070.jpg
    P0071070.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 174
Hi Mark,

I am a big fan of the 12mm F/2 myself. Nauticam is working on a smaller port for that lens which will be quite nice I think for CFWA. Your last image gives an idea of how well you can fill the frame with a not quite so wide lens. Keep up the good work and let us know how you like the other two lenses.

Phil Rudin

Hi Mark,

I am a big fan of the 12mm F/2 myself. Nauticam is working on a smaller port for that lens which will be quite nice I think for CFWA. Your last image gives an idea of how well you can fill the frame with a not quite so wide lens. Keep up the good work and let us know how you like the other two lenses.

Phil Rudin

Thanks Phil!
I was quite suprised how much I liked the 12mm for underwater use (which I love for above water anyways). It will produce some soft corners behind the 4.3" dome but the images are definitely useable nonetheless. A dedicated port might be very interesting.

thnx for sharing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom