some exercises and thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mania

Cousin Itt
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Finally I went for a week of diving. As a matter of fact, I wouldn’t call it diving. It was exercising. As you may know I’m in the middle of doing trimix (both OC and CCR). So there were a lot of things I need to master.
This is why together with a friend we went to Mazury and spent a week on the lake that has several platforms underwater. The first one is at the depth of 3 meters, second one at 6 meter and the third at 10 meters. Most of the time we spent on 3 meters one and moving between all 3 of them.
What I needed was first of all handling 4 stages. During the first part of my training it was a disaster. Couple of thing I’ve learned and I just want to share them with those who will start more advanced training. When taking a stage (either from the platform or your buddy) first you need to stabilize buoyancy. My major mistake was clipping the stage and working on buoyancy at the same time. This of course didn’t work.
So after couple of dives I know. First I keep the stage in my right hand, get myself stable with the left hand, and then work on clipping the stage with the left hand. First stage is easy, but the fourth one – gee….this is a lot of fight…
:D
Next thing. When adding more and more stages I needed to remember about gauge. Otherwise I would not be able to unclip it to check my gas. So you have to use one of the fingers to keep the gauge clipped on the top and get stages clipped beneath it. Two stages are still easy. Problem starts with the third and the fourth one. For the fourth I was using the leash, but clipped to my hip Dring. With all four stages moving forward is not an easy thing :D
Most of the time this week I was playing with stages. We were working on a platform, and moving from one platform to the other. The idea of the second training was to handle stages between partners while swimming. So at the beginning we both had 2 stages, then:
3 – 4 – 3 -2 -1 -0
(one diver started with 2, then had 3, 4 stages, and again 3, 2, 1 and zero).
We decided to do most of the exercises on shallow because it’s more difficult – buoyancy is the major issue at the depth 6 to 3 meters.
What else we did:
OOG, V drills, switching gases, deploying stages on a platform and so on.
This was the first time for a long time I was doing some good training. And still had a lot of fun. In the end things that were really difficult were going more or less smoothly (still not perfect but I think way better than at the beginning). So my conclusion is – it’s always worth spending time uw just for exercises.
Do I log these dives? No, but I’ve learned a lot.

Mania

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom