Some divers don't like river and lake dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't dove rivers or lakes. Not ever really wanted to. I think I'd much rather see a shark in the ocean than a gator in the river :crocodile:
but, I have had a few of my dive buddy's discuss diving in the ponds I have but they haven't done it yet. Looks like in a pond the viz would be crap.

I dive it all - salt water vis so stunning that you think you are in air to the low vis where you have to put your computer inside your mask just to read it :wink:
It is ALL good. After my many years of diving I've come to the conclusion that it really isn't just about the great vis and abundant marine life, it is really about the pure pleasure of dive, regardless of where it may be...

Fresh, salt...it's ALL good! When I dive salt, I'm usually looking for biodiversity, whether it be micro or macro, and I always marvel at coral structures, and I love a good wreck (artificial or accidental). However, when I dive fresh, I'm looking for whatever might be available. That might include spawning (and very protective) perch and bluegill, or possibly inquisitive turtles, or even feeding ducks. I've been in springs more clear than any ocean I've ever seen, and it's always fun to see the water roil up from the bottom and shoot geysers of sand into the water column. I've seen underwater caves and tunnels, salvaged "treasures" dropped by partying boaters, and I always think it's cool to drop through different thermoclines with their seperate conditions and attributes.
In short, there's always plenty to see and experience whether it's salt or fresh. "Fun" is in the eye of the beholder, I guess!

"shudder" Fresh water ain't natural. And there are sticks in freshwater. Been there and done that. Never again.

I've been waiting for this post.:D

I find that their is a lot of history in lakes and rivers. The sea's are great but I look at it this way I have all of this gear I might as well make the best out of what is around me and I have found so much its not funny!

And I like to say, I have had some of my best dive's in lakes and rivers. but in the end its what you like and feel good with doing!

Someone told us when we first started diving "to be a better diver...dive, dive, dive and keep diving". My wife and I got hooked on diving in Hawaii and built up some skill and training in South Florida. We just finished our 100th dive with a New Year's Eve night dive. If we didn't dive locally, we wouldn't hardly be diving. With many trips to Clear Springs, Athens, Canyon Lake & the Comal River we did about 40 dives this summer. Lots of fun on many day trips and weekend turnarounds. It would be better to be diving blue water with 100' viz but that ain't close to Dallas. Diving with five foot viz and getting in some compass work will sure help you navigate those blue waters when you get there. Have fun with what you've got and dive, dive, dive.

Next dive trip is the Valhalla Missile Silo near Abilene the weekend of Jan 27. We're going out with the folks from International Scuba in Carrollton, TX. Never dove with them but always room for some more dive buddies. Trip report and amateur video to follow at the end of the month.

Almost all of my dives are in lakes. I'm so used to 4 to 10 ft viz I'm like a kid in a candy store when I get to dive blue water. I will say this though, diving lakes, especially learning to dive in lakes before ever stepping fin in the ocean, has made me a much better diver. You have no choice but to really dial in your buoyancy. The only time you can see much is when you are hovering inches above the lake bed, and without a good frog-kick, it won't be long before you won't be able to see anything even then. Lake diving has also made me slow down and enjoy the details. I actually witnessed a fresh water jelly fish on a dive in lake Murray Oklahoma a few years back. If I hadn't been going slow and just enjoying my underwater bliss, that tiny transparent little creature would have passed right over me and I wouldn't even have known they exist. I am amazed at the tiny little fish that make weird trails in the mud. I love surprising a catfish that totally believes he is invisible inside that stump.

Don't get me wrong, the very few times I have had the opportunity to dive in the ocean was un freakin believable. And I think my constant lake diving enables me to truly get how amazing the ocean is.

Like most, I prefer the beautiful scenery found in the blue water; however, it would be very difficult for me to dive as often as I do if it weren't for jumping in my local lakes and rivers. I love to dive and will find things to enjoy about almost any location.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom