Solo New Diver, Suggestions needed for Philippines December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob77

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

After reading tons of threads on the topic of where togo, I have noticed a few comments about ones ability vs dive area. Comments about currents, depth over 60' or not having the bouancy control needed for muck diving in Anilao ...So since this will be nearly my first dives after getting certified this month. I am reaching out for some advice.

Also, I will only be bringing my gopro, mask, snorkle , computer and booties ... so will always be renting full gear.

My first dives after cert will actually be in Aqaba Jordan, end of November. So after those 4 dives I will be in the Philippines for 3-4 weeks of December

• MoalBoal/Panagsama Beach - The Sardine Run really appeals to me as that looks very cool, whate sharks as well. Just not sure what the rest of the diving in the area holds for a newbie.
    I do want to do the canyoneering to Kawason Falls.
    I am considering just flying into Cebu instead of Manila.

• Anilao - I had thought since it was close to Manila to go there first. But I will only have my gopro, no lights ... everyone talks about the macro photography and I wonder if these dives will be fun for me. Also reports of not the best place for a solo diver.

• Puerto Galera, Seems like a create place, but if I am going to skip Manila and fly to Cebu, then not sure worth it to go back to here ... Unless this place/dive shops hold great benefit to a Solo Newbie.

Thanks - Robby

Robbie I'm sure all of these places will be able to accommodate a beginning diver. Wouldn't hurt to let them know as you contact the dive shop. You will find diving suitable for you wherever you go, and I wouldn't make a big deal about the finer points just yet. As a first time visitor with 3-4 weeks you should have enough time to get to Manila and move the show to Cebu after, but Manila is a giant PITA so flying directly into Cebu has its advantages.
If you do decide to fly into Manila, Puerto Galera/Sabang has tons of dive sites for every ability and taste, and resorts for every budget, as well as plenty of day and night life. There is enough variety to move you off the bunny slopes into something a little more vigorous in short order. Others may disagree, but in Anilao you may be a little hard pressed to stay occupied in and out of the water, so given the choice of one I'd be thinking Sabang. Sabang is also a good place to beef up your certification to AOW, which you really will need to do if after a few dives you decide you like it and plan to keep it up as a hobby.
If you are heading down to Moalboal don't stop there - move to Dumaguete and Apo Island for some great muck, walls and slopes and if you find yourself up to it possibly a taste of some good easy fast drifts.
Don't even be thinking about depths over 60 m - ain't gonna happen. You will likely be held to depth within your cert.
There are a lot of very knowledgeable people following the Philippines threads and I'm sure you will get a lot of good advice.

My hubby and I have done a few dive trips to the Philippines and I have done a couple of solo trips. The weather may be a bit iffy in some places ,so be flexible.Masses of people travel solo for diving for a range of reasons and the people in the Philippines are so so nice that you will have a fab time.Every dive shop hires equipment. Flying into Cebu is a lot easier, getting into and out of Manila can take hours.

We would recommend the following dive shops as being particularly good for solo travellers : Liquid In Dumaguete, Southern Leyte Divers ( who should be able to get you to see whalesharks in the wild ) , anywhere in Maolboal, anywhere in Panglao Bohol and anywhere in Malapascua. All of these areas have excellent diving and are suitable for beginners. There is a dive safari from Cebu to Negros , which looks like fun. As suggested above , Anilao and Puerto Galera are also great.

Hope this helps a bit and have a wonderful trip !

Cebu area(Visayas) offer more choices as long as you don't mind the slowest of getting to places.
Christmas is the most busiest travelling time for the locals and tourists so flights are in big demand.
PG is a very good all rounder ie bit of everything including eating/drinking.
Moalboal - Dumaguete - Apo Island are perfect for beginner divers.
Malapascua is well known for the thresher shark but requires AOW and should be very busy in Dec. Advance reservation may be necessary.
Southern Leyte is great but getting there takes a bit more effort.

Have a nice trip.

Another suggestion, may be do Advanced course in Malapascua. Really laid back place.good vibe. It will improve your diving and you might see Thresher sharks(99%). Thresher Shark Divers are really professional and have a separate mooring in Monad shoal, less crowded.

Lots of good advice so far. I would encourage you to do lots of snorkelling prior to your dive trips so that you are competent with this equipment and are accustomed to breathing out a mouthpiece. Your fitness will improve and you will be better prepared to enjoy your dive and improve your skills. You also reduce the risk of task overloading if using fins, mask and snorkel are second nature.
Good luck, GJS

Another suggestion, may be do Advanced course in Malapascua. Really laid back place.good vibe. It will improve your diving and you might see Thresher sharks(99%). Thresher Shark Divers are really professional and have a separate mooring in Monad shoal, less crowded.

Erm . . every (decent) dive centre on Malapascua has their own mooring that they put in and maintain. We all dive along a 200m section of wall / slope full of cleaning stations for sharks.

There seems to be a concept that some dive centre has a secret spot. Sadly not true. We try and spread out for sure but are all next to each other. But it works. The sharks keep coming. :yeahbaby:

If you were going the end of December you could dive with me :) I'm flying in on December 24th and will probably head over to Anilao on the 26th. Where I dive is the perfect place for a solo diver. Best rate I've seen in Anilao and they don't charge extra if you're the only one on the boat.

Having said that, as this is your first trip, I might go to the Visaya's. Something to be said for flying direct to Cebu and bypassing Manila. I'd recommend 4-5 days minimum in Malapascua. 6-7 would be better! I've been going there since 2007. My first trip there I planned 7 days and ended up extending to 10! I once stayed there for a month and I keep going back... must be some reason for that :wink: Malapascua has a very laid back vibe and it's very diving oriented. Having said that, they also have one of the nicest beaches you'll find in the Philippines.

In Malapascua I recommend Evolution. I've been diving with them since 2010. You could knock out your AOW and Nitrox with them. A day trip to Kalanggaman and another to Gato Island is a must. That Evolution is ranked in the Top 10 in the WORLD by Green Fins is just an added plus! I'm headed there for another visit myself in January :)

After Malapascua (you might like it so much you want to stay longer) you could go back to Cebu City and from there either Southern Leyte or Bohol would be doable. Or do Moalboal next. Pescador Island and the sardine school. Then back to Cebu City and then again... choices.... Southern Leyte? Bohol/Panglao? Dumaguete/Dauin/Apo? Lot's of opportunity! As Centrals said though... it's a very busy time of year so best to nail down transport, hotels, and diving soon! No matter what you decide you're going to love the diving in the Philippines! :coffee:

Moalboal has great diving. I've done over 850 dives there in the last 5 1/2 years. But many other areas also great diving.

I like to stay in one place for while then dive elsewhere. I prefer not to be spending too much time traveling to different sites on one trip. Leyte would be a good place for a few days as well in December.

Back
Top Bottom