Solo Female Yucatan Trip - Safety Concerns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mermaid Stacy

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello Everyone,

I booked a last minute trip to the Yucatan Peninsula. I will be there for about 10 days in October, renting a car from Easy Car Rental from CUN airport. I have traveled to Baja many times before and have traveled extensively through Asia including remote islands in the Philippines, Indonesia and Micronesia as a solo traveler. I speak fluent Spanish and am fully vaccinated.

I do not party, drink or go out late at night. I plant to drive between Cancun, Tulum, PDC, Valladolid and explore the area as well as do some cenote dives. At this time I am not interested in ocean diving or going to Cozumel. I have 250+ dives, AOW, very comfortable in caverns, swim-throughs, etc.

I am getting some negative feedback from some regarding driving/traveling alone in the Yucatan as a solo female. I have reviewed the US travel advisory for the Yucatan and it recommends exercising normal precautions with no crime/kidnapping advisories at this time.

I understand that there is greater risk for a solo female traveling alone most anywhere in the world. I am hopeful anyone with recent local knowledge of the area can weigh in. I have researched the gas station scams, Akumal beach access scam, and general advice for getting pulled over by the local police. Parking tips welcome!

I do not have a set itinerary. I do not plan to drive at night. I would like to stay in more local areas, not large resorts. Interested in safe, accessible beach access for snorkeling and any tips on must visit cenotes for snorkeling/diving and any other cultural/nature sites. Any advice and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you kindly, muchas gracias a todos!

A bunch of my friends travel to that area solo. One just drove from Chicago. A couple of moved there for extended stays. I only have one friend that snorkels and she went to that akumal spot.
I have never heard them speak of negative travel incidents in the area.

There are multiple operators there. A couple of people I know went to ProTec. Others to Under the Jungle. (This is where I started my TDI SideMount and plan on staying next year).

A bunch of my friends travel to that area solo. One just drove from Chicago. A couple of moved there for extended stays. I only have one friend that snorkels and she went to that akumal spot.
I have never heard them speak of negative travel incidents in the area.

There are multiple operators there. A couple of people I know went to ProTec. Others to Under the Jungle. (This is where I started my TDI SideMount and plan on staying next year).
This is wonderful information, thank you for passing it along. I have heard great things about Protec and Under the Jungle. I would love to do a sidemount class, did you enjoy your class with Under the Jungle? Thanks again!

I booked a last minute trip to the Yucatan Peninsula. I will be there for about 10 days in October, renting a car from Easy Car Rental from CUN airport. I have traveled to Baja many times before and have traveled extensively through Asia including remote islands in the Philippines, Indonesia and Micronesia as a solo traveler. I speak fluent Spanish and am fully vaccinated.

I do not party, drink or go out late at night. I plant to drive between Cancun, Tulum, PDC, Valladolid and explore the area as well as do some cenote dives.

Stacy, with that "travel resume" you will be more than fine. I used to travel around Baja when I lived in SoCal and, even as a man (I hope that's not sexist) felt less safe at times than I ever have in Yucatan. Spanish helps--I remember a female traveling companion putting a muchacho in his place for being a bit fresh.

This is wonderful information, thank you for passing it along. I have heard great things about Protec and Under the Jungle. I would love to do a sidemount class, did you enjoy your class with Under the Jungle? Thanks again!
i did. though my instructor and class lives locally near me (Monterey, CA). I still have to do the check out dives because I was getting used to a new drysuit and I wanted to put some dives on it.
My plan is to head over and stay for a month or so next year.

The TDI SM is different than the PADI one fyi!

also, more importantly: I wish I could go!
I'll be on the other side though - Los Cabos - so I won't cry too much! :)

My choice for cenote diving is Martin with Cenote Xperience. They can arrange all types of diving, but the cenotes are their specialty. Martin is an incredible diver and his passion for the cenotes and caves is highly contagious.

You have the travel experience to be as safe as anywhere.

Good luck, safe travels,
Jay

I don't think you'll have a problem traveling in the areas you mentioned. It feels pretty safe, and I'm down there 3 times/year. I frequently encounter women doing solo dive trips. I would suggest contacting Natalie at Under the Jungle if you are interested in sidemount training. She is one the best instructors I have ever met.

Stick relatively close to the speed limit, and don't travel at night you will be fine. And the night thing is less about crime, but that the roads have been known to open up random new cenotes or other things in the road.

Back
Top Bottom