Solo Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I don't think solo diving should be encouraged. I see posts on here, should I solo dive, how do I know if I'm ready to solo dive, these don't indicate someone ready to solo dive. If you have to ask you're not ready. They taught the buddy system at camp for swimming, if you get in trouble there is some one there. If you get in trouble solo diving there is no one there to help. Tangled, stung by a man o war, caught with the current, bit by a shark-yeah I know they only taste, cramps, heart attack- there's no one there. You're on your own.

That said, 90% of my diving is solo

Oops, I don't think that was a "reply to" message. Thought it was the start of solo forum.

Dennis,

FWIW, I agree with you. I end up doing quite a few solo dives. Sometimes to set a line or pull an anchor. Sometimes to check the bottom out. But I also do it so I don't have to worry about OTHERS! Yeah, call me selfish, but I like a little dive time to myself. There are many times after I get my students on board that I have PLENTY of gas left to go back and play. I think I will be doing that more too!

DennisS:
I don't think solo diving should be encouraged. I see posts on here, should I solo dive, how do I know if I'm ready to solo dive, these don't indicate someone ready to solo dive. If you have to ask you're not ready. They taught the buddy system at camp for swimming, if you get in trouble there is some one there. If you get in trouble solo diving there is no one there to help. Tangled, stung by a man o war, caught with the current, bit by a shark-yeah I know they only taste, cramps, heart attack- there's no one there. You're on your own.

I don't think solo diving should be encouraged either. I do however, really enjoy it. I, like many, view it similar to mountain climbing or flying. Once you reach a certain level of experience and comfort, going solo can be rewarding - but I would never encourage anyone to do it. That's a personal choice.

I am very glad that agencies (SDI and ANDI) have realized that some people do it and are trying to teach proper techniques.

cortez:
I don't think solo diving should be encouraged either. I do however, really enjoy it. I, like many, view it similar to mountain climbing or flying.
Heh, ask any pilot if they thought they were ready when they took their first solo flight. I'll have to check my log book but I think I had around 4 hours when my instructor said it was time to solo. I don't think my knuckles have ever been so white...

James

DennisS:
I don't think solo diving should be encouraged. ...

As long as you do not claim to be DIR, there is 'nothing wrong' with solo diving ... provided you accept the risk and are a capable and competant non-solo diver.

DennisS:
I don't think solo diving should be encouraged. I see posts on here, should I solo dive, how do I know if I'm ready to solo dive, these don't indicate someone ready to solo dive.
I find it interesting that solo diving discussions are "allowed". Regardless of which side of the fence you're own, unless you hold an SDI Solo card you are exceeding your training agency limits and recommendations by diving solo. Discussions about wreck penentration, 'mix diving and other topics are closed when it is obvious someone is trying to avoid taking the proper classes. Why then are we allowed to discuss solo diving?

Who is asking others to not get certified?

Secondly, there is a TON of solo diving done. We can simply ignore it or discuss it. But please... this is a no troll zone. If you don't like the idea then simply avoid this area.

NetDoc:
Secondly, there is a TON of solo diving done. We can simply ignore it or discuss it. But please... this is a no troll zone. If you don't like the idea then simply avoid this area.
Actually Pete, I didn't realize there was a new forum until after I posted here. I don't find it odd that people are talking about solo diving without being certified for it. I find it odd that the SB doesn't seem to care they aren't certified. Hell, the sticky post (which I just found) doesn't even say it requires special training or equipement. Tons of people do wreck penetration without training just like tons of people make decompression dives without training, but that doesn't stop you guys from keeping those discussions in check.

Sorry Pete, but just because tons of people are exceeding their training doesn't mean it's prudent for you to turn a blind eye to the fact. If the sticky post made the faintest illusion to the varations from what you learn in OW I wouldn't be posting this. Take a look at the sticky in the tek section. Try replacing the very first word in it with "solo" and tell me why I'm off base? I don't care what you guys do as long as you (ScubaBoard, not you personally) aren't so nonchalant as to suggest the biggest problem for solo divers is trolling.

cornfed:
I find it interesting that solo diving discussions are "allowed". Regardless of which side of the fence you're own, unless you hold an SDI Solo card you are exceeding your training agency limits and recommendations by diving solo.
I've been diving solo for 30 years, (I still think its not a good idea). I'm not too concerned about cards and certifications and what they entitle me to do or not do. I am concerned about divers reading about solo diving and making a decision from information that they get on the board. They don't know the qualifications of the poster but they use it as input in their decision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom