Solo Diving when traveling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paul Desmarais

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I started solo diving because it was hard to find dive buddies for local diving. I really enjoy it, but as I've done more and more of it, I find I want to do it when traveling. The question I have is, what if any of your solo gear do you pack when you travel? Is it possible to rent solo gear (Pony bottle, stage bottle set up)?

Also solo divers can leap tall buildings in a single bound and also follow the crowds bubbles from a distance

and gear that glimmers and fins that shimmer

I have 2 pony bottles that I use for solo diving, a 19cf and 30cf. I take the 19cf on the airplane, usually packed with valve off in the checked bag, although I have on occasion brought it on board in carry on when otherwise I'd be over the weight limit. Never had any issues with TSA.

When taking the 19cf to far away destinations I fill it at a dive shop or show up early at the dive charter location to fill it before we leave the dock (having confirmed beforehand that they will do it). Keep in mind it may need to have a VIP first.

On a recent trip to Truk lagoon given that the luggage capacity is limited on the puddle jumper flights, and there was a lot of switching planes and staying overnights during the trip, I secured a pony bottle on the liveaboard ahead of time so I wouldn't have to drag mine along. The attachment bracket is on my BCD tank strap so nothing extra was needed to secure the tank. I brought my pony reg.

As far as other gear for solo diving, I bring my own knife, backup shears, primary and backup lights, whistle, signal mirror, reel, dsmb, and Nautilus PLB. If I'll be penetrating wrecks I'll bring 2 reels.

I have only been prevented from solo diving in Greece and Australia as per the law in those countries.

I started solo diving because it was hard to find dive buddies for local diving. I really enjoy it, but as I've done more and more of it, I find I want to do it when traveling. The question I have is, what if any of your solo gear do you pack when you travel? Is it possible to rent solo gear (Pony bottle, stage bottle set up)?
I have been able to sidemount AL80s everywhere I tried. Only thing you need to bring are the tank harnesses and your wing; else you can get from any dive shop (or you can bring your own).

Sidemount makes for very few logistical issues for solo diving. Some places even think you're renting tanks for two people 😜

Someone decided to call Australia, Down Under mate not Backwards Under, of course you can solo in Australia

I have only been prevented from solo diving in Greece and Australia as per the law in those countries.

Someone decided to call Australia, Down Under mate not Backwards Under, of course you can solo in Australia
You're correct. My memory is a bit jumbled. I was on a 3 day live-aboard last year and they wouldn't allow me to solo dive- because I didn't have a pony bottle. On one dive my wife was done before me so I dropped back to depth under the boat. A DM hopped off the boat and dropped down next to me and strictly admonished me to end the dive immediately.

The dive manager on the boat said she was going to have a word with me later. I thought I was in big trouble but she was nice about it, and clarified the rules.

I always take my own pony (ponies) and everything else except weights and tanks. Many places you can rent a pony - but you most likely need a solo certification card. Someplaces forbid it but look the other way. Some places don't care. You need to check with several dive operations at the desatination.

Back
Top Bottom